Shim Removal Tool Or Remove Cams

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bassy, Jan 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Hi Guys doing valve check on Sprint, most of the inlet measurements I've taken point to re shiming so my questions are:-
    1. Do I use the T3880012 (which I will need to purchase)
    2. Do I just put engine into TDC and remove Cam.
    3. If I go down the route of using T3880012 has any one got one they won't to sell or I can borrow.

Peoples thoughts or peoples experience i be grateful for input.

Cheers
    Bassy

• Like Like x 1
  2. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    The tools turn up used on eBay every now and again, always worth a look.
    I’m no mechanic, but if you don’t mind buying a couple of extra gaskets, it’s probably as quick to take your cam off, just as long as you know what shims are going in?
    I’ve recently removed mine...with the Haynes manual it was really straight forward, no gremlins!
    Good luck with it all.

C58DEC8A-F5BB-4DF2-84C3-F311FE20A7BE.png

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    If the shims are on top of the buckets, ie directly in contact with the cam I’d say use the tool, it’ll save undoing the cam chain tensioner and cams every time you need to check clearance after shim change.

• Like Like x 2
  4. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    You should have knowledge of how many shims you need to replace after your measurements by now. It really is a yes/no decision. If they are in range leave them, it is not the intention to try and re-shim to the middle of the range.

If you have a lot to do it might be worth taking the cams out but only if you are confident and have the correct tools, e.g. torque wrench. If you only have a few shims to do or if you are not that confident just persevere with the tool. I used the tool for 6 of my 16 clearances on my Daytona.

The Triumph tool is not that dear from a Triumph dealer compared to the shop labour you are saving it is a small investment. Here is me using the Triumph tool on a Daytona 1200, it's a bit long winded but you will get the gist of the tool usage and the challenges it presents.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I totally agree with XCaTel, if the clearances are within the specified tolerances then why adjust them, however you say the inlet clearances point to an adjustment, if that's the case you will (if you don't have them already a selection of shims), sometimes you can swap them about to gain the correct clearance, it's usually the exhaust valves that require adjustment, and then it's usually down to the machine being red lined in the lower gears over time. There is a chart you can print off from the link below that will help record the measurements, however if you decide to take the cams out make sure you have a quality torque wrench and sockets etc. The trouble is if you don't have shims to hand (and don't forget a micromiter), then it will become time consuming for you as you will have to order new ones in.
    https://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk/Valve Shims and Clearances.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    Hi Guys thanks for your input done the job and other things as well. I decided just to TDC and take cams out in the end after watching the YouTube link thought yea using the tool on 2 or 3 but any more than that you might as well remove cams.

cheers again

• Like Like x 2
  7. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    How did you decide on the correct shim size without having multiples to hand? My issue will be (when it comes to rebuilding the head) that the feelers never passed beneath the cam lobes to give me a reading because they were already too tight? :D

8. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    All did was cross reference the size of the actual shim with the feeler gauge measurement to what I should replace it with in the manual.

9. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Ahh, you clearly had some clearance to begin with, then? Cheers, Bassy, thanks for getting back to me. :)

10. Bassy

Bassy Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Bedfordshire
    I had no clearance on one of the shims it was suppose to be .10 - .15, I couldn't get .04 under it, when I removed the shim this was 2.75 I replaced with a 2.65 and the gap was .12 after fitting new size shim. I just followed what the manual said hope thats helpful

• Like Like x 1