Serviced My Street Triple, Now It Won't Run

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ryanMIL, May 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Hi All,

I've spent the afternoon changing the oil, oil filter and spark plugs on my 2011 Street Triple 1050. Whilst I was there, I also adjusted the clutch cable and tensioned the chain. I took the air filter out to change, but realised I've bought the wrong one, so I've refitted the old one for now.

I obviously had the tank and air box removed to replace the spark plugs. I've used genuine Triumph parts for everything.

Now that I've put everything back together, I've got a couple of issues;

1 - My gearbox light is on (yellow). I've not ridden it yet to see if there's any symptoms - maybe a result of over-tensioning the clutch cable?

2 - The bike is difficult to start and won't idle, it just dies. However, it does sound like it's firing on all cylinders when you rev it.

Issue 2 is an odd one. When I fired the bike up for the first time when I was finished, it struggled to start (but I just put this down to the fuel getting through. Once started, it ran ok (although the gearbox light was on) and so I left it to warm up before re-checking the oil level. I turned it off, topped the oil up (right to the max. marker) and now it just won't idle. I can start it if I give it some revs, but I have to keep revving the bike to keep it running - it won't idle.

A couple of things which may be relevant...

1 - The throttle body butterflies were a bit grubby, so I sprayed some break cleaner onto them. I think (thought?) that brake cleaner is the same as carb cleaner, so assumed that would be safe.

2 - When reconnecting the air box, there was one small rubber hose (maybe 3mm inner diameter) at the front left of the tank, next to a sensor, which I couldn't find anywhere it should be connected. I don't remember seeing it when I removed the airbox, but traced it back to the cylinder head. It's possible that it got pulled off something - but I did spend a long time hunting and couldn't see anywhere it might connect onto. I convinced myself it was some kind of vent.

I'm going to go back to it tomorrow and just double-check I've connected everything properly and not pinched and air hoses etc. It would be great if anyone's got any tips before I open her back up again...

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    https://www.worldoftriumph.com/part...triumphmc/modelid/610102/block/100061027-3-2/ fuel tank

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/part...triumphmc/modelid/610102/block/100061008-2-2/ airbox

Here are exploded drawings of your bike. Handy for explaining which bits you mean.
    I ve not heard of this issue before.
    Brake cleaner should have evaporated by now.
    Does sound a little like you have trapped a fuel pipe. Have you connected to your throttle bodies to the air box correctly?
    Is it gearbox or engine light.
    How much did you adjust the clutch cable by?

3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sounds as you have a pipe disconnected or on wrong study what sprinter posted and redo it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The chemical composition must be different as I've generally found carb cleaner is more expensive for the same quantity/manufacturer than brake cleaner.
    That would make logical sense as fuel systems gum up so need different solvent properties. Obviously they both evaporate at normal temperature and pressure.

5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m not too sure about the 1050, but it sounds to me like you might have pinched a hose for the idle control circuit when putting the airbox back on, or even a fuel pipe as Sprinter says.
    As for your EML, did you turn on the ignition while you had it all apart? If so it’ll have recorded a fault because of a disconnected plug (air temp sensor or such) and as DD says, it’ll reset on its own, if you’ve reconnected everything.

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    As mentioned check what has been touched, based on servicing my Speed Triple 2010:

- Fuel pipe is secured and no kinks or trapped by the tank
    -Air mass sensor on the air box is secure
    -Secure and sealed seating of air box on the throttle bodies (use a smear of Red Rubber Grease to help)
    - Vent pipes are correctly identified and secured in correct positions (tank air vent is very similar to fuel vent pipe but does a completely different job)
    - Gear box evaporation hose is secured to the air box
    -Spark plugs are correct rating and correct gap
    -HT leads are connected to the correct spark plug/cylinder
    -Oil level isn't too high ,(or too low) is it measured with dip stick screwed all the way in or resting on the hole
    - Is the battery charge where it should be 12.6v to 13v at rest with ignition/lights off

Grasping at minor possibilities:
    -Could residue,water, rust etc have dislodged in the tank and block the filter (if it has sat long at any time)

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    "I've spent the afternoon changing the oil, oil filter and spark plugs on my 2011 Street Triple 1050"

If it is a 1050 engine then it is a Speed Triple and not Street triple, this could explain the incorrect oil filter situation, could that also be the case for the spark plugs and worth checking oil used too?

The specification between Street and Speed are very different

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Well spotted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Thanks for all your tips guys. I’ll get back into it this afternoon and report back.

By the way, I know I’ve got a speed triple - just a typo, sorry.

10. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Update...

IT'S FIXED!!

I've still got absolutely no idea what was causing it. I basically retraced my steps from yesterday, triple checking everything before I removed/disconnected anything and then just put it all back together.

Anyway, I'm confused, but relieved. Thanks all for your support!

• Like Like x 8
  11. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    You probably kinked something when you put the tank back on, I find it's better to make it a two man job, it's so easy to bugger something up when you try and do it alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Nice one Ryan, glad you got it sorted :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Glad you are sorted. Now you need to do the rear hub and suspension linkages. Prob more important than air filter and plugs plus should be done every 2 years according to triumph.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Interesting - I’ll take those on this winter. Are there any guides around or decent maintenance manuals?

I’ve got an issue with the gear changes too, which I’ve posted about before. I’m going to resurrect that thread....

15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    google bowl of mice re hub. Gearbox differnt matter. Could be numerous things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Haynes do a manual for your model, I’ve got one for mine and it helps a lot with little tips that help make maintenance jobs go smoothly.

• Agree Agree x 2