Service Intervals Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dagger, Oct 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dagger

Dagger New Member

Hi Everyone

I have a 2014 Speedmaster with 40,000 km on it (about 25,000 miles)

At 20,000 km I did the full dealer service which included adjusting valve clearances and it cost me over $800 (about 500 pounds)
    I now need my next major service but the simple fact is that it is too expensive for me. My question is, beyond the obvious oil and filter change, what MUST I do at this mileage?

Do the valves really need to be adjusted again? Am I asking for trouble if I don't do the full package?

(As an aside, the full package at my dealer includes changing the coolant. The bike is air cooled!!
    I can't help but think this 4 hour service is a scam.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you. Dagger in Canada

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.
    Why not ask for a quote to do the valves, and do the rest yourself, or do it all yourself.
    One suggestion would be buy this and see what the service entails, then read how and decide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dagger

Dagger New Member

What about other things which MUST be done at this point? Spark plugs? Air filter etc??

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Can you use a spanner,If the answers yes then you can do the other things,or you do what you can and keep the price of the service down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dagger

Dagger New Member

Hi Sprinter
    I am ashamed to say that I am useless! I have always relied on the experts to make sure it was done right. I guess that is the price I pay (quite literally) for never having learned.

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It is never too late to start to learn. A Haynes manual even grades jobs for difficulty.
    Get yourself a few basic tools, a manual and you will be doing a basic lubrication service in no time for a fraction of the dealer price. Expand your repertoire as you learn.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dagger

Dagger New Member

Thank you all for your opinions - anything else I MUST do at this mileage?

8. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Oil change and filter are the overiding important service jobs to ensure your engine survives. However if your valve clearances close up due to seat wear the valves can get damaged by burning and then need major repair. At high mileages its worth investing in getting them checked.

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Order a manual ( just to read if nothing else ).