Sena, Garmin, Iphone And Intercom

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fourbears, Nov 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I have a Sena 10U fitted to my Shoei Neotec which works great with my iPhone 7 and Garmin sat nav. However, on a recent trip to Scotland it seems the intercom would not work between my 10U and my sons Sena SMH5. Yes they were paired but would only connect to each other if my sat nav was off i.e. I had turned the bike off and had turned my Sena on then we could talk over intercom. Is it because it needs a Bluetooth channel to work? I don't know if they two units are radio or Bluetooth which if BT, then I suspect I need to run my iPhone through the sat nav to free up a BT channel. Anyone know at all?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    I'm having a problem with a Sena SMH5:

I have a couple of GPS apps on my iPhone (Waze and Maps). However, neither of these will "talk" to me via Bluetooth on the SMH5 unless I have the Music app playing. Weird!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    There is a Sena app called RideConnected which reputedly offers Sena headset and other headset users and alternative. The communication is via their mobile networks, so works over any distance.

Biff

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. pidjones

pidjones New Member

Sep 2, 2021
    East Tennessee
    I bought a Garmin 396 to replace a seriously aged StreetPilot. It took over all headset communication, so I unpaired the GPS from the headset and phone and bought a Bluetooth to audio converter to connect to the bike's audio. The GPS was cutting out both phone and helmet-to-helmet comms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I got a tom tom and still get lost. Sometimes it speaks others it doesn't.
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I was setting up a friends Sena S50, iPhone 11 and Tomtom today.

First pair you phone to the Sena (on the S50 you press the jog button for 5 or six seconds to put it into pair mode).

next pair the tomtom to the Sena. Put into pair mode and when connected press the phone button TWICE. First press tells the Sena the new device is your second phone. Press again and it tells it the device is a GPS.

GPS devices ‘overlay’ audio whereas phone dominate the audio (switching music off and turning in Siri or phone calls).

Sounds like your devices are both seen as phones

here’s a link (for the S50).

https://community.sena.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005482486-GPS-Pairing?mobile_site=true

I then connected the ‘network’ option on the tomtom to the mobile so that it could access traffic data etc.

I don’t have a tomtom and just use my phone for everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    And just to make things worse the Zumo is now constantly connecting to the phone and the Sena then immediately disconnecting. Garmin have told me how to connect them in the right sequence but for most of the time it goes round in the connect/disconnect circle. Rather annoying and no way to sort it out.

8. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

They need reprogramming with a large hammer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    "Percussive Rearrangement" is the correct technical term ....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    Ah! Replying to my own post.

Sorted this one out though. Volume! Start the SatNav app then TURN THE VOLUME UP!! Seems each app has it's own volume control. I hope.

eh?

Biff

• Like Like x 1