Self Cancelling Indicator System

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by John T, Nov 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I’ve been on this mobs mailing list for a while and when a Black Friday 50% off e mail landed I couldn’t resist

https://www.safer-turn.com/#home

Anyone tried and /or fitted one ? This is for my T120

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    My old T100 came with a buzzer system fitted (it was part of the alarm). Thought it was a good idea at first as it started to buzz after a set period and got louder and louder! Became a real pain in the bum if you were just waiting to turn right!
    Tiger has them as standard but I never use it as it would spoil me for when I ride the Bonneville!

3. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Sorry I haven't tried these but just found out you can use your thumb.
    Tucker

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Thanks I’ve cancelled the order now can you tell me how to sort the right handlebar grip it seems to be a bit loose and actually spins around which makes the engine go louder as well ?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I’d need a klaxon not a buzzer now I’ve got George’s X pipes and open Remus cans

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Might I suggest you get one of those big yellow revolving flashing lights you see on road sweepers and such. Mount it on your handle bars and wire it into your indicators. ;)
    You'll be the envy of every biker in the world, honest. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Yes I had the same trouble used super glue stopped it spinning so now just sit at home looking at my bike as for some reason it doesn't move .
    Tucker

8. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Gee thanks reckon you’re my new best pal ❤️

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Cool I love making new friends

10. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I'm sure some of my old bikes had self canceling indicators but I can't remember which ones.

It seems a retrograde step for them not to be standard on all bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Got those already but they’re linked in to the stereo so no good for indicators

Rave on....

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
  13. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    My 1981 Yamaha RD400F had them as standard and they always worked perfectly, 36 years ago!!!!
    These should be up there with headlights permanently on, they are a real safety issue as I see it.

Curly

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Yes I did too on my RD 250 now you remind me !

15. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    That'll be it. I had several RDs started with an RD200 then the RD250 and an RD350 although I'm sure other bikes I owned had them.

When I first got my BMW I thought the separate indicator button on each side would be a real problem but it never was, in fact I rather liked them. I can't remember if they were self cancelling though.

16. Swood516

Swood516 New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I'm in the process of installing one on my T120 - Space is limited on the T120, though. You can find a mounting place under the LH Side Cover or under the seat near the fuse holder (which is where I'm locating mine). Either way requires a 36" extension. I've been emailing with Mark from STS and he has provided me with good support and they even sent me an extension cable. Another option is to buy the unit from A&J Cycles (order online) and specify the length of the extension you need - They will take care of some of the headaches, but you will pay a little more. I think it might be worth it; unless you're a tinkerer like myself. I'll provide complete instructions of my installation with pictures after the holidays.

• Like Like x 4
  17. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Cheers mate I found someone on another forum who mounted it on and under the headlight on a Thruxton don't know if that's an option. I am presuming the unit needs to be fairly solidly mounted to the bike structure to allow for correct sensing of the bikes motion. How many wires does the unit have and what sort of gauge ? Anyway its on its way so I will see what arrives from darkest Slovenia.
    Incidentally the same crew are mentioned in this months Bike as they are researching automatic vehicle to vehicle communication for collision avoidance a branch of driverless vehicle technology so they must be a savvy mob.

18. Swood516

Swood516 New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    It's (8) 22 gauge surrounded by a thick plastic outer sheath - Not very flexible either. The other issue is that the STS unit must be mounted facing forward, but the wires exit at the rear. Just another reason finding a mounting space near the front of the bike is almost impossible. I'm currently in the States and I received an extension cable from Mark at STS within 2 weeks. I'm about 1/3 of the way through my install, and I'm working to create detailed instructions as I go.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I mounted one on my '17 T100 a few weeks ago and am generally quite happy with it. It did need the 36" extension, which I didn't originally order but got from A&J. My only issue is it has taken some breaking in for the small foam pads inserted into the original switch. It was quite hard to turn on (particularly for right turns) until then. It's also not overly sensitive to lane changes and won't shut off on a slow, gradual changer on the interstate.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Hi mate I’m looking forward to Swood’s fitting instructions but as you’ve already fitted yours which wires did you connect into and where ?
    Got the unit today I’m thinking of picking up power from the underseat usb power supply but wondering about the switch wires....perhaps in the headlamp casing ? Also did you need to modify the indicator switch with the rubber inserts ?