Selecting Heated Grips For T100

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by underdoug, Jan 8, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    I mistakenly ordered some Koso Apollo heated grips for my 2013 Bonneville T100. Turns out the T100 has 1" handlebar and needs a 1" grip:oops: . I measured the right grip and the throttle seems to be about 1.2".

Will any set of grips for a 1" handlebar of the correct length fit on the T100? I don't know grips meant for 1" handlebars will always fit on the right side over the throttle control.

Any recommendations for a heated grip for the T100? I like the feature of the Apollo grips that have the controls right on the grip instead of having to be mounted somewhere else. But the Apollo doesn't fit .

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    All grips i have ever come across are either 7/8 bars or 1", the right hand grip is always slightly bigger for the throttle tube. Oxford heated grip are great :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    There is an alternative to the well known Oxford, Daytona brand, with a discreet button on the handle.
    Very happy of mines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    #4 underdoug, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    The Heaterz Premium - Cruiser Heated Grips fit on the T100 1" bars. Delboy has a video on installing on a similar bike.

I ran into two challenges:
    1. I put too much glue on the right grip. Somehow some glue managed to get on the inside of the throttle tube where it doesn't belong. Fortunately just a little and I was able to remove the grip. It took a lot extra wrenching and scrubbing off the glue on the inside of the throttle tube with acetone so that the throttle tube would spin smoothly on the handlebar.
    2. Not yet solved. The bar-end weights will not fit inside the grips. There is a hollow space for them but the Triumph bar-end weights are too wide to fit. Not sure if these are required for safe operation of the bike. There is room under the cap (2 in the image) to insert some sort of weight, just not the stock triumph weight.

[​IMG]

You can see i mounted the control with a single 35mm long 6mm metric bold (which didn't come with the kit) using both spacers supplied with the kit. It is mounted sideways at it fit that way. I used some threadlocker on this bolt as it seemed like a good idea.

View attachment premium-cruiser-hotgrips.png

control1a.jpg

control2a.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    For the bar-end weights, I am tempted to find some 1" round stock, cut two pieces of similar weight the stock triumph weights, and drill a hole. They aren't visible anyway, since they will be under caps. Any reason this won't work well?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I am using the original Triumph aftermarket ones. They are perfect!

7. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    Hat tip to @Iceman who pointed out in another thread the oxford cruiser grips can be trimmed. I trimmed them and was able to fit the bar-end weight..

If i were to do this again i would cut the grips where i wanted them cut (a few mm from the end of the rubber) and adjust the position of the clutch or master cylinder clamps as necessary prior to gluing.

8. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    I have been using the Oxfords heated grips the last few rides - it is still
    cool enough to enjoy them. They have a mode to detect if the bike is off and will stop heating after a few minutes. This feature works even with a lithium-ion bike battery.