765 Security - Share Your Measures Here!

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by ContactSC, Sep 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    I know this is a bit of a recurrent theme so if it's not allowed in this forum, please remove.

However, having just become the proud owner - actually 'in love' is more like it, bizarrely! - of a Striple, one of the most nickable bikes in the motorcycling universe, I wanted to get a quick poll of owners preferences, as a bit of a 'sense check'. Currently, I use an Oxford 14mm chain (2m, heavy as f..k at about 9kg), a Boss disc lock and a GPS tracker.

I've just bought a 16mm chain and lock, plus a new 16mm D-lock, from these guys: https://securityforbikes.com/products.php?pg=2 The plan is to use the Oxford chain and disc lock when it's at work (inside a combo lock metal shed) and the new 16mm lock (can't be cut manually), disc and D-lock when at home, since it'll be outside, on the drive (under an auto security light but not chained to anything static).

I have 2 questions - 1, are these measures sufficient to protect the bike? and 2, what's the best way to use the D-lock? I can only find one video online and it shows the guy inserting it in the front wheel, around the fork and through the spokes, but not attached to anything big and static.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Get something to secure the rear wheel to the ground and use a cover, a big theft deterrent as they don’t know what security measures are under there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A dirty, scruffy cover with a number plate window and an old elasicated number plate from 2003 to cover the up to date plate! Secure so the wheels are not a giveaway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sorry Contact sc
    If the creeps come along they already know what you bike is and where. A friend of mine had his bike chained up at work to a bike park alarmed and disc locked again the Daytona 600 they pulled up in a van with a 10" angle grinder and took it. You can see them on camera not even masked up. You see Security run out and the creeps trying to cut him with the grinder. The police said sorry your bike is probably long gone now we will give you a case number and didn't even attend. His insurance refused to pay and he lost his pride and joy and has never biked since. Sorry to put a downer on things. But the Tracker is a good idea and I would think a big deterrent as there is accompany can't remember the name but they will track your bike for you.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My cover suggestion (above) was slightly tongue in cheek. The thing about security is that ‘it all depends’.
    Your approach to security needs to be driven by a mix of factors most of which are personal to your circumstances. There is no one ‘golden bullet’. You need to do your own threat estimate based on:

What bike? Self evidently they vary in attractiveness
    Why your bike? Your habits, visibility, accessibility.
    Who? Neighbours or further afield, likely thief profile.
    When? Day or Night
    Where? Home, work, out and about
    How? Security measures needing to be defeated.

Total concealment works best because a thief needs to identify his prize. Then disguise what you cannot totally hide. Physically secure what you can to something seriously immobile. A bike is high value, portable and disposable. Local kids joyriding pose a different threat to professional’ scrotes with a van who unimpeded can spirit a bike away to where they can defeat or dismantle at leisure. Take a systemic view - where is the weak link in your plan?

You know all this anyway. The best you can do is apply your security budget to your own circumstances - indeed your circumstances should drive your security budget (exactly what HMG does NOT do with our Defence budget!). Even then, luck and hindsight will factor in.

Rabbit’s foot?

• Like Like x 2
  6. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester

Why did his insurers refuse to pay? On what grounds?

• Like Like x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    GrahamC
    Apparently he did not state to and from place of work. Someone on here once said that the baby alarm / monitor and I can't wait till my boys son gets a little older so I can pinch his. But all the security in the world won't put them of. Had a mate he had two Alsatians and a little creep broke his bathroom window and the dogs had him wanted to see the blood from his arms. The dogs got put down and he was prosecuted. The thief walked free. I have two big Son's and all the little creeps know they will get a visit from them if they are known I will referee. It grieves me they get of with it. I remember I was eight or nine coming home from Sunday School I picked up a dinky toy from outside a house my Dad took his big army belt and beat me back all the way to knock the door and say sorry. Never ever picked any thing up again
    Regards
    Joe.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Thanks Joe, now I understand! Always need to be circumspect when making a claim.

The police in the UK are now the most fucking useless cretins imaginable. They only seem interested in following up incident with celebrities. The likes of you and me don't matter a toss anymore. They simply aren't interested in solving theft crimes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    GrahamC
    Yes I feel the same. mention motorcycle and they are not interested. One they are undermanned secondly we are all tarred with the same brush as the moped muggers. Mind you hear in Maidenhead I have seen them out in the old trannie van in various places with the old camera sticking out the window. Big money for the old Government and I believe they get a share of it. And insurance well that's a different subject we could fill pages about their excuses and lies.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stikflote

stikflote New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Derbyshire
    m using the Pragmasis 16 ml chain and a ground anchor, and a round lock

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Yes I've just bought this too, seems great. Got a D-lock for added peace of mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    :cool::cool:

194F9998-DCC8-4F19-92A0-281A613D087C.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    I use Biketrac. It's a monitored system, runs off its own battery, but connected through ignition so if moved sends an alert to the monitoring station. Then they ring you up, send a text and e-mail you within minutes of any movement. If they can't get hold of you, they will ring the next contact on your list.
    If it is stolen, they will go out and find it and recover with police support. It costs £99 a year, but against the cost of replacing the Exploder, isn't really that much.

https://biketrac.co.uk/

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I use this she stays next to my bike at all times
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1