Security - GPS Tracker

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Mr Toad, Apr 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I know from some recent posts people have been concerned about security etc. so I thought I'd post this.

It's a small GPS tracker that takes a PAYG SIM card.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Locat...e-GSM-GPRS-Tracking-Device-GT02-/112306435579

I was talking about them with a mate who decided to get a couple, he has a Jag XK convertible and a Land Rover Defender which is more likely to get nicked than the Jag.

He has them fitted and they work really well. You can sms the unit and it will tell you where it is. Tou can also ring fence it and tell it that if it moves outside the fence to tell you and report it's location. You can also connect it via a relay to the fuel pump so that you can remotely disable the car, this extra function is probably no good for a bike as they tend to end up in the back of a van!

There are several types available and from his experience the ones to go for are the GT02 variant, the main reason for this is that there's a paid for app for the phone, about £8 that makes operation so much easier as some of the sms commands are a bit long winded and need to be accurate, no extra spaces etc. and some can involve lat and long numbers for the ring fencing.

I can't at present remember the app name but I'll find out as the one he's using is excellent.

I'm going to order one for the Bonnie after I've checked there's somewhere suitable to put it and as it isn't waterproof it would need some sort of protection.

• Like Like x 2
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Might not be too useful here in OZ as the mobile phone system doesn't cover enough area, especially if the sim isn't Telstra ! As they have the biggest coverage. But it would be good in the Major Cities where most Bike thefts occur, there's been an upsurge in Triumph thefts in the last 3 or so month's !!!

3. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Too big to go in there.

Its 85mm x 63mm x 25mm

Capt. They aren't network locked you can put any SIM from any network in there.

4. DonVulpes

DonVulpes Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Fleckney, Leics
    #4 DonVulpes, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Thanks for this. I have a 'proper' system ( BikeTrac ) on the TTR but this will be ideal for the Tex.

My only concern is that you need to keep topping up to keep the SIM active ?

5. Paul01823

Paul01823 New Member

May 13, 2017
    Taunton
    I have a Datatool TRAKKING fitted to my Rocket X and am getting one fitted to my TTSE next week, cost about £180 fitted plus a yearly subscription, you can check online to see where it is and it will send you alerts if it is tampered with.

6. paul murray

paul murray New Member

May 31, 2017
    birmingham
    how much a year £££££

7. Paul01823

Paul01823 New Member

May 13, 2017
    Taunton
    Hi, I got the fitting cost wrong, total is £280 and £99 per year, you can get a discount for buying 3 years, they also have an option for Keyguard, this lets you know if the bike is started with the key while you are away i.e. Holiday etc.

8. Paul01823

Paul01823 New Member

May 13, 2017
    Taunton
    Looks like the Biketrac is more expensive initially and the same yearly, with Biketrac you get unlimited alerts, with TrackKING you get 5 alerts per month, if they are used you buy 100 for £15.00.
    I have found that if I start my Rocket next to my Trophy I will get a notification text warning me that there is activity.