Secondary Air Injection Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by steve lovatt, May 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Finally removed the dreaded AI system from the Bonnie.
    Used the "smart-moto" kit off ebay (the one from Greece with the solenoid bypass).
    Here is what you get rid of!
    Bike runs much smoother without it. :)

2017-05-27 09.44.58.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Want to do this, but do love the poppin & banging on over-run !!!!:confounded:

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Now you just need some 'saucy pipes' :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Steve,
    Have you had to do a re-map ?
    My Bonnie is a 2012 and I am dying to remove the SAI but I have heard varying opinions post removal.
    Bike runs perfect and does 'pop' on deceleration but nothing that really annoys me, I just don't want to risk losing any performance.

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Mick, there are two ways of doing the AI removal in terms of the electrical side. You can do what Steve did, buy an emulator plug that sends a message to the ECU that "all is well"; or you can use TuneECU to turn off the AI within the std. map. So not really re-mapping as such, just a tiny modification.

Both of these options are only there to ensure there are no EML lights - once the solenoid has been disconnected and the plumbing removed the AI system is no longer in place to operate.

If you need more info about Bonneville AI removal, just ask OK?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah I do miss the backfire when I close the throttle but the smoother running makes up for it !

7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have TORS on now :cool::cool:

8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    There's no negative to this other than the lack of popping on deceleration. No loss of performance at all just a smoother throttle response at lower revs. Also stops the pipes going blue as they run cooler.

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Another option is to remove everything except the electrical pump you can leave this in place still connected
    It's what I've done after watching delboys garage on YouTube ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You're right of course DG, but it means that the solenoid (not actually a pump, more of a valve) is still opening and shutting, so you get a clicking sound, especially on tickover. Not a big deal, but irritating for some pernickety gits, like me :eek::eek:

11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I may be over thinking about this mod because I don't fully understand the ECU.
    I looked at the removal kit from Greece which has the emulator included and my thoughts were what happens if something went wrong with that little electrical gizmo ?
    Thinking that Greece is not particularly well known for its electronic prowess ?
    Delboy leaves part of the SAI on to fool the ECU
    Forchetto on Triumph Rat solders in a resistor (much the same result as the Greek kit)
    If I just wanted to remove the SAI and left the silencers and everything else as standard, would I need to re-map?
    3 Options:
    1) Remove and fit the Greek kit
    2) Remove as Delboy leaving the pump in situ.
    3) Remove and solder in a resistor

12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Can't hear clicking on my bike because I have cocktail shakers and can't hear myself think o_O

• Like Like x 3
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    4th option is the way to go , remove all and use tuneecu to switch the sai sensor off in the ecu. This is the cheapest option No costs, I used sump plugs from a Subaru to plug up the head where the air injectors sat.

Mick find someone local who has tuneecu to do the map switching off sai option, I'd do it for you for free ... But shipping your Bike to Perth WA might be the limiting factor ;) :broken_heart: ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I've removed the AI, and have a K&N filter and Tec Tracker exhaust, baffle in. I haven't had it remapped yet, but it runs very well, and seems a bit smoother and more responsive. I did the Delboy removal and left the solenoid. I might get it remapped but can't make my mind up if I want to chop the baffle about a bit. Sounds nice with the baffle, but probably too loud for 6:30am starts with it out. I've done a few plug checks and it looks fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    WHAT D'YA SAY ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Capt
    When you say remove all, does that include the Lambda sensors or just the SAI ?
    Is the TuneEcu reasonably easy to use ?

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The Lambda sensors are completely separate from the AI System.

18. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    #18 Hogster, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    If you remove the sensors you will have to remap due to different fueling. It's easy to do on Tuneecu, if you can nav the forum it's no harder, nice easy dashboard to use. Also you can check the throttle body balance, mine was unbalanced from the factory which meant a small vibration at medium revs!

Get rid of the snorkel and baffle in the air box and fit a bell mouth intake with a free flow air filter and the combo is adding BHP as well as better running.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Mick, I removed the following :- snorkel,std air filter for K&N, baffle in air box,opened top and bottom of air box, ported cylinder head, big bore kit, oxygen sensors in exhaust headers, all AIS (hoses,valve body) did dyno tune and adjust fuel tables and switched off sensors using tuneecu. Bike runs fine, making in the region of 75/80hp.

• Useful Useful x 2
  20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I took my ai out on my thruxton and still get a slight Burbley popping on deceleration