Second bike ideas

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Batfastard, Apr 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Batfastard

Batfastard Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    #1 Batfastard, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    hi guys,now I have the speedy and loving it ,I'm toying with the idea of a second bike .
    I've always loved the look of a vmax but also classic Suzuki gs bikes and the Honda magna
    Any recommendations or experiences with either.
    Tony

• Like Like x 1
  2. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yup same experience as DD re VMAX, took it back to dealer and suggested there might be something not quite right. I had a GS750, wallowed like old Triumphs in bends but could be probably bettered now with all these new shocks about. Never ridden a Magna.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Batfastard

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    Thanks for the replays
    I know what you mean I always loved the way the max looked and sounded but at the time small kids big mortgage no way ,I have no desire to go redline in every gear.i had a GS550 about 34 years ago but can't remember how it rode as I sold it for CB900f2
    Time to search the web again.
    Tony

4. AGS5150

AGS5150 New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Warwickshire
    The 1998-2001 Honda VFR gets my vote. I'm drawn in by the characterful V4 engine, all round capabilty and clean looks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    A friend of mine has a vmax in his garage at the moment, he's been commissioned by the owner to get it running as it's been stood for a long time, very low miles if any at all. Don't know if it'll be for sale when it's done but I can ask.

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    VFR 750 - YES; VFR 800 - NO! Not at any price; VFR 800 V-Tec - YES, every time.

I had a VFR 750 FV so one of the last and it was truly an amazing bike. Unfortunately some low life stole it. So once I was paid out I bought an 800 because I really liked the looks of it and it's a VFR so it's going to be great, right? WRONG !!!! Absolute pile of poo !

When it came out I tried the 800 V-tec and that was completely different and tons better than the std. 800.

Honda dropped a bollock with the 800 so I reckon they went overboard to ensure the V-tec was a fully complete and competent bike - which it is imo.

7. WesSmith

WesSmith Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Hastings, East Sussex
    I bought a new Speed in March, and then took my Aprilia Tuono in for an MOT and was lent a Tiger Sport.
    Man, that bike was so comfortable, powerful, handles a dream, good brakes, and suspension that floats over British roads.

Was never on my radar, but I didn't want two 1050 triples....so I tried some other bikes, then rode a used 2015 Tiger Sport and was hooked again, so tears to see the Aprilia on its way, but I have one hooligan bike in the Speed and now I have a comfy commuter/tourer too.

So its worth going out and just trying stuff....unless you don't want to spend money, in which case don't!

• Like Like x 1
  8. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I had a pre v tech VFR800FiY for 10 years, covered thousands of miles on it, left it out over winters, always started first time, went to France a few times fully laden with all the Givi kit, changed the rectifier / voltage regulator once, apart from that just tyres and service items.
    It was utterly dependable, fast enough and very comfortable.
    Pile of poo?
    Not in my book, but it is of course, horses for courses!

Curly

9. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    If you are after a usable bike look at a gsx1100 good brakes and ok handling for age, But why not buy a Triumph Trident early one.
    just sold my Gsx1100e adrians 220.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    Thanks Dozers Dad, It was matt black and rough when i got it,I enjoyed it even made a profit when I sold it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Batfastard

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    Give me a shout with details and pics when done

12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Sounds like the vmax is going to be a keeper when it's eventually done, apparently the owner wants it concourse and my pal ain't in no hurry to get the work done, he's just bogged off to Europe in the camper til the end of June.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Batfastard

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    Got one collect it next week.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Batfastard

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    1997 uk spec VMax.
    Pics to follow

• Like Like x 3
  15. Batfastard

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    Here it is IMG_20170522_150403.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #16 TEZ 217, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    That looks great, I owned my last Vmax for 7.5 years 2001 carbon edition, still got a complete carbon body kit, wheels, light, and lots of other parts still stored in my garage cos to be honest I have not given up on getting another sometime, that looks standard apart from the tyres, Ive been a member of Vmax Chat for a good few years now, forum used to be full on buzzing until farcebook fooked it, but still some great guys and info on there including ME.

PS - One bit of advice check if its had a mod done called an engine saver !!! Oil pipe in the sump that Yamaha fooked up with but never did a recall, they did however produce an upgraded oil pipe gallery without admitting anything, :mad:
    Oil pipe in sump is only held in place by an O ring that over time gets small and perished and pops out reducing oil pressure to the point your engine may seize, No oil pressure guage on a max just a light that shows oil in sump, that does not mean its getting to your engine !!!! many Vmax's killed this way. Member produced a clamp held in place with a crankshaft bolt stopping this pipe from popping out, also best practise to change the O ring for a Kawasaki O ring thats more up to the job, belt and braces so to speak, piece of mind for approx 15 quid plus the O ring from Fowlers, worth checking or doing next oil change pretty easy to remove the sump.

Sorry once I start on Vmax's I cant stop, GOOD LUCK, GREAT BIKE I RECKON.

HERE'S MY LAST TWO Vmax's

Picture 239.jpg 2012-05-20-129.jpg

17. Batfastard

Jan 3, 2017
    Black Country
    Thanks for that .they look great.
    it has had the o ring mod done,the last owner had her for 7 years and this one one of the mods along with progressive spring he did.
    Cheers Tony

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #18 chuk, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    I had the last prevetec 800 great bike all round if a little bland got high level can as too quiet,most reviews pan the vtec only need to look at prices a lot of vtec for sale due the big expensive valve service,imho prevetec far better bike most buyers report the same older 750 starting to fetch solid money nows the time to buy,practical sportsbikes mag great for read and info on bikes that will go up in value.