Sprint GT Seat Info Required Please

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Our Gee, Oct 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    In my efforts to gain more leg room with my 2014 Sprint GT I am now thinking about a higher seat. At first I thought about buying a cheap used seat and having it re-upholstered to form a higher seating position. Then I noticed that a lot of the used seats for sale on ebay are described as "low" gell seats. This seems to imply that there is another seat which is NOT low ?.
    Please can anyone offer any info / advice.
    Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    #2 Johnjo, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    As far as I know bikes come with a standard seat fitted. A lot of manufacturers offer an upgrade to a gel seat, lower seat or both combjned. A higher seat is rarely an option. ( not unheard of, but not common).
    I'm not aware of a high seat being offered on any triumph model. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge will be along and confirm one way or the other for you.

Edit, another option to consider. Have a look in the sales section. Someone is selling some peg lowering thingys for a sprint gt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    That would be me !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Raising the seat height will effectively lower the handlebars relative to the seat to give a more forward leaning riding position with slightly more weight on your wrists. I know this 'cos I had the seats on my Daytona 955i redone with extra padding for more comfort. Fortunately I had previously fitted LSL bars which were higher than the originals so the riding position was still comfortable enough for a fat old fogey like me!:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Our Gee
    Welcome to the family. I think you will have to go for the rebuild. The gel seats are good but lose there comfort after a bit of use. Speak to R K Leighton they are great for advice and well priced. Had many seats rebuilt by them usually put about an inch on them. Also Corbin do a great range for most bikes but not cheap but quality.
    Regards
    Joe

6. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks for the replies chaps, I am aware that that raising the seat would alter the handlebar to seat relationship and I already have 25mm bar risers fitted.
    I now think that my idea of buying a cheap seat and having it altered to give more leg room would be the best way to proceed, however I don't think that 1" rise would be enough. I suppose that the bottom line is that it looks like I have bought the wrong bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Our Gee
    Have you considered a change in the rear shock you can gain some height that way Hagon are the people for that again they will listen to what you want. Then you can change your footrest position like rear sets or longer reach ones. you may need to run up a linkage rod for the gear shift. But do talk to R K Leighton they are good people and will build you the seat you want and that's another option get them to design you a seat that you can sit further back in or a combination of both higher and seating position.
    Regards
    Joe.

8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Hi Joe/Our Gee,

I think OG has maybe realised what most of us have to accept in time. For whatever reason our time on sports bike is coming to an end. And the sprint is a SPORTS tourer.

My epiphany was donkeys years ago when I bought a Daytona. I knew after the 70 odd mile ride home that I had made a mistake. Took me 6 months to acknowledge the fact and get something comfortable to ride.

No offence OG but I think you may be rearranging deck chairs on the titanic in your quest to make the sprint comfortable. Time to get yourself an oil tanker, or in the bike world a tiger or similar. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    JohnJo
    I don't think its comfort rather than better leg room Our Gee is after. But like you say you can throw money at any project and still end up disliking it when out of pocket. When as you say the cheaper option would be to test other bikes.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  10. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If it helps, my Daytona seats were re- covered/padded by the lad at www.motorcycleseatworks.co.uk on the outskirts of Bradford. Does a grand job and is quite reasonable on price.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Wow I remember going there in the early nineties but can't remember for which bike.

A mate of mine got knocked off near here when a car pulled out from a right side road. He saw me coming (as I was leading), stopped, let me passed then set off again. I watched in the mirror as my mate got smashed into the railings at the side of the road.
    One broken ankle and an ambulance chase to Bradford Royal Infirmary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    'Kin OUCH!!!!!:eek::scream:

• Agree Agree x 2