Seat Height

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by mpllineman, Apr 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I have a question for you. How many here can plant their feet firmly on the ground astride your bike? I have been on such a low sitting bike for so long, it was not an issue. I really don't remember having this problem as a younger man, so it could just be that recently bikes have grown taller. We all understand the need for ground clearance. Thanks guys for any reply!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I can

• Like Like x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I have my BPOS Speedmaster and feet on the floor is not a problem :)
    In fact it is now fitted with a Maverick seat and my bloody arse is nearly on the floor :eek::p

• Like Like x 1
  4. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Thanks guys for the reply. I am considering another bike and it's just a smidge too tall, tip toes with bike stood straight up. I guess I could have the dealer install some linkage to lower a bit, but I'm not sure if this would affect the handling. Oh well, ain't life grand when this is your biggest problem!

5. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    That's the reason I got a Speedmaster....... low seat height.
    I had a Suzuki Bandit and I was tip-toes, doesn't inspire confidence when coming to a stand still and having to put your foot down.

I got an upholsterer to sculpture / scoop out the seat foam an inch or or two sand then recover the seat. I found this helped quite a bit.

Maybe this and fitting the lowering brackets would be a good strategy.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I can flat foot now on my Bonnie. Couldn't on my last bike, 5 years ownership. I had lowering links fitted to that bike, a tiger and raised the forks to maintain the steering geometry. Bike handled like a dream with that set up. I was still on tippy toes though. Some lowered bikes require the side stand altering. Lowering them affects the lean angle when parked.

Must say it's been a revelation on the Bonnie not having to plan ahead at stops. Side slopes and gravelled surfaces used to be a nightmare to stop on. Not any more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Thanks guys for all the replys and good advice! I knew I could count on you here at the Forum.

8. Bradders

Bradders Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    London
    I can flatfoot on my Speed Triple R, but I am about 6'2"

9. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Can flatfoot my Thunderbird with both feet, 5'7” with a 29” inside leg

10. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Flatfoot the Street Twin,no probs.

11. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Also flat foot on my new Street Twin. One reason I purchased that bike. I'm 5'10".

12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Being a bit odd, I am 5'4" on my right leg and 5'6" on the left... The result of an argument with a car a long while ago. Thankfully Triumph do a Low 800 XRX which means I can get both feet more or less flat - especially when wearing a pair of Harley Davison Welton boots. A friend had a Honda TransAlp thingy and kept toppling over at roundabouts, lights and frankly anywhere where there was a camber on the road... If only avoid embarrassment it would be advisable to be able to reach the floor with your feet rather than in a collapsed heap!