Seat Cover Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Erling, Jan 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    My ’97 Thunderbird came with a cruiser type seat in perfect condition (King and Queen seat?). It also came with the older bench type seat which has seen better days. I would like to refurbish the old one to give the bike the classic look I want, and have been looking for options. The most promising supplier seems to be P&K Classic Bikes in Staffordshire.
    http://www.pandkclassicbikes.co.uk

Before I order, does anyone have any experience with these covers? Are they as good as they seem?

2. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Maybe check out on google Tony Archer, or digger seats.

3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I've used www.motorcycleseatworks.co.uk in the past. Re-covered my Trident seat and re-upholstered my Daytona 955i seats for a bit more comfort.

Daytona 955i CE 2002 015.JPG

Daytona 955i CE 2002 004.JPG

And yes, that is a top box on the back .... sorry!!:p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Thanks for your comments back in January. I am sure that the alternatives mentioned by others are good. As no-one advised against it, I went ahead and ordered the seat cover from P&K Classic Bikes. Philip Turner (‘Mr. P&K’) was very helpful and patient with my questions.

Yesterday I fitted it, very easy. I had the seat stripped and recovered in the time it took the wife to prepare dinner. I used a Rapid 34 Heavy Duty staple gun at full power. Triumph had used 4 mm long staples, the shortest I could find was 6 mm. Not a problem, they didn’t punch through the plastic seat base.

I am very, very happy with the result. The fit was perfect and the seat looks brand new. Well worth the money.

Triumph_BP_apr18_liten.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I've replaced a cover myself several times now. Quite easy with the power stapler. I hope you used stainless staples! Otherwise they will rust quickly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    Just noticed this post, I know Phil good helpful guy and the seat replacement covers are normally good quality, Sorry this was late and not too helpful to you but may help others

7. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Thanks for that. The staples I used (Rapid) are claimed to be galvanised, although they look rather shiny. Time will tell.

The question now is, do I reinstall the seat strap or not? If I do it's no return, as that will require making holes in my pristine 'new' seat. I kind of like the clean look it has now. Comments/views?

Triumph_seat_apr18_a_liten.jpg

8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No strap mate :)
    Looks good the way it is :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Agree with Dilli on this one (stands back in amazement)
    looks better as is, and anyway your lass has more chance of falling off :p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Can your pillion in a million (swmbo) reach that rail on the back ?? If so what do you need the cloth strap for ? In my opinion they were cosmetic at best ! I usually took them off and left the hole with a bolt in it...

Cheers capt

11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Can your pillion in a million (swmbo) reach that rail on the back ?? If so what do you need the cloth strap for ? In my opinion they were cosmetic at best ! I usually took them off and left the hole with a bolt in it...

Cheers capt

12. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Thanks for your support - no strap it is.

• Like Like x 3