Se Hump Hurts My Rump

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by LouHela, May 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LouHela

LouHela Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Vantaa, Finland
    Hello mates.
    So I've been riding this SE with its stock seat for a month now and I'm seriously uncomfortable.
    The whole position of everything is wrong for me. Pegs too high, too far back, seat too low.
    Can anyone recommend a seat - without a hump - that will shove me up a couple of inches. Budget of max. 300€..? I've got the peg lowering brackets on order.
    If you know of a European supplier, even better, as I now have to pay 24% vat on everything coming to Finland from Blighty. I've got the peg lowering brackets on order.

Kiitos ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi LouHela,
    I have found that the only comfortable seat for the air cooled Bonneville is the King and Queen seat. I know that it does not look very pretty but it is comfortable, certainly much more than the standard 'plank'
    Have a look on ebay there is generally one or two listed secondhand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I bought one from a place in Redditch I think. It was about £235.00 IIRC. Far better than stock. Thicker too. I'll try and find the details if you're interested. :)

bonnieSE.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LouHela

LouHela Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Vantaa, Finland
    Thanks guys! Any tips welcome. I'd really like something with no division between rider and pillion so I can sit a bit futher back.
    I found this last night on interweb. It's in Thailand. 130€. Can anyone identify the model of bike and confirm that this seat would fit an SE?
    Cheers

Triumph-Bonneville-T120-T100-replacement-seat (5)-1000x1000w.jpg

Triumph-Bonneville-T120-T100-replacement-seat (4)-1000x1000w.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I'm fairly sure that's a Street Twin. It's water-cooled, got the fake 'carb' covers and single disk up front. Also can't see a main stand. The side panels are the right shape. Obviously it's had lots of mods. Can't help with the seat though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just a thought..I wasn't happy with the seat on my Street Twin. I bought a second-hand seat from a breaker and took it to my local seat maker. I told him what I wanted and drew a couple of sketches. He used the base and made me a new seat. The used seat cost £80. The rebuild cost £100 (in 2018). I could have given him my original seat but wanted to keep it just in case.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LouHela

LouHela Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Vantaa, Finland
    I bought a second-hand seat from a breaker and took it to my local seat maker.

You are Bob Dylan and I claim my five quid.

Thanks beerkat. 'Spose my mission now is to try and find out if a 2012 Bonny seat and a StreetTwin seat are interchangeable..
    I mean, I'll ask the supplier in Thailand, but I have a feeling it may be tricky returning it even if they reckon it'll fit perfectly.

He was 80 this week..
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LouHela

LouHela Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Vantaa, Finland
    Update. That seat from Thailand will fit a T100 / T120
    Anyone know if it'll fit 2011 Bonny?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    No seats for the water-cooled models will not fit the air-cooled Bonnevilles,

You will need to find one from an air-cooled Bonneville, SE, Thruxton or Scrambler. Just check that the seat you are interested in has the 2 lugs on the base where the seat bolts to the frame on the air-cooled bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LouHela

LouHela Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Vantaa, Finland
    Thanks so much Gramps of Sam. Really appreciated.
    Lads, I bought this Bonny SE at the end of the season in Finland for a great price. I'd never even seen it. It was 200km away in a garage.
    But now, after 1 month of riding, I'm so disappointed with it. Man, it's smaller, much more cramped than my Enfield Bullet.
    I'm thinking of selling it . This seat business is so disappointing. Who did they design these bikes for? 16-yr-olds?
    Sincere apologies if you're the right size for an SE Bonneville.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    I purposely brought an SE as the cast wheels are smaller and being somewhat short in the leg department I felt it would obviously be lower than the wire wheeled option. And having researched the bike I was aware that the seat could be an issue. At first I thought it was OK but time has told my buttocks a different story so I have purchased a king queen seat which I should receive sometime next week. Although I will be seated a little higher I'm hoping that the comfort will be a better compromise, I'll let you know how I get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    I purposely brought an SE as the cast wheels are smaller and being somewhat short in the leg department I felt it would obviously be lower than the wire wheeled option. And having researched the bike I was aware that the seat could be an issue. At first I thought it was OK but time has told my buttocks a different story so I have purchased a king queen seat which I should receive sometime next week. Although I will be seated a little higher I'm hoping that the comfort will be a better compromise, I'll let you know how I get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Same here. The seat l fitted, as in the photo, actually improved the ergonomics by slightly increasing the distance between my bum and my feet. Rode it to Spain no bother. Bigger concern in rural France was the puny tank,really. But that stock seat is an absolute joke, whatever your size. Seems to be a Triumph thing, fit a shit seat then offer an aftermarket comfort alternative. Naked upselling :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I got my seat from Burton bike bits they did a great selection. All my other seats i had adapted by RK Leighton and they do a top job to your requirements.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spike 64

Spike 64 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi, I put a cafe racer style seat on my 2010 se off a Thruxton, went straight on & I think it looks better, definitely more comfy and a bit taller. (I have posted pictures on a thread a couple of weeks ago),

16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The Bonneville SE has a sculpted seat, which is thinner than the stock seat on the T100. Having had both I was surprised what a difference a few mm made. I bought a T100 seat on eBay for £30 in the end and had no issues after that.
    I also had an Enfield and am surprised you find the SE feels smaller - the bloody thing felt like a push bike to me! :joy::laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. LouHela

LouHela Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Vantaa, Finland
    #17 LouHela, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
  18. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    King & Queen seat arrived today not been for a run yet been working on the TZR but sat on it and it seems very nice, hopefully I'll have a ride in a day or two will update again then.
    20210602_165324.jpg 20210602_165333.jpg

19. David Reynolds

Jun 26, 2020
    Browns Valley CA
    Shout out LouHela that Dylan pic made my day, nice!!! FWIW on the subject of seats I put the aftermarket comfort seat on my 2017 Bonnie and never looked back, stock seat was crap.

20. Stephen Martin

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Sorry thought I had put an update (I'll blame my old age) anyhoo have had a few 40 - 50 mile rides (short by a lot of you) but either way I can report that my rear end is much more comfortable now.