Screen Advice?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by David Aldworth, Jun 24, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Hello people
    I have a bonneville T120 and it has a small screen on the front. When going along on the motorway I find a get little protection and will generally slow down to 65mpg or thereabouts. Does anyone have one with a bigger screen? Would a bigger screen protect me from the wind a bit more?

2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Which screen is it? The teeny fly screen, slightly bigger touring screen or something more substantial?

I have the middle one - the touring screen - and although it keeps a bit of wind blast off its not too intrusive either.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Yes it’s the fly screen. It looks smart but I want to be able to go on the motorway and be comfortable at a semi fast speed.

4. Sam Wells

Sam Wells Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2022
    Bristol
    My Street Twin came with a mid sized fly screen and I found the same as you, anything above 60 mph and it gave little protection. After posting on the forum I took the advice of others and removed it all together and I have to say although the wind still gets you, it feels much “clearer” air and I far prefer it without anything. Maybe give it a go and see how you get on ( and the bike looks better in its original form!)

5. Rkt120

Rkt120 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Wiltshire
    I feel as you need to remove the screen, and enjoy the frill of holding on for dear life as you feel the wind whistling against you.
    But being sensible I think there was something about screens and the amount of protection given against the wind and from memory I don’t think it made that much difference, I’m sure someone might have a different opinion if they have a big screen tho.

6. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Define semi-fast. Mine has no screen and I can hold 70-75 mph quite comfortably for some time. If you are wanting 90 mph plus cruising you have the wrong bike. As far as screens go, some just mess with the airflow and so don't actually improve comfort at all. No screen at least gives you an even airflow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the response sir I wasn’t talking 90mph cruising more like the speeds you suggest. From what people suggest I am starting to think I don’t need to change a thing. I love my bike, I didn’t choose it to bomb around everywhere like with the bikes I use I have. Just figured maybe I could make 70-75 a bit more comfortable appreciate everyone’s responses.

8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I tend avoid the motorway so higher speed protection is not a priority for me. I like my touring screen and the minor help it gives for my riding is a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    Ive got a Dart extended screen on my 2018 T12O and its good. Comes up far enough to keep the wind off up to just below the shoulders so your head is still in the wind but its really quite good. Easy to install.
    Some hints. Buy the dark black screen it looks better and when installing angle the screen so its pretty much in line with the angle of the shocks. You can ride for a while like that and adjust to suit.
    Dart is a very good robust stylish screen imo for the bonnevilles.

10. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #10 timboo, Jul 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  11. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    How about this?

R.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Cracking Thankyou very much. I will have a good read of that. Around town, B roads and sort of speeds below 65 and it’s great but sometimes for quickness you want to go on the motorway

13. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1