"Screaming Banshee Shockwave" Air Horn Install

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by muzhik, Dec 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    One of the items on my "wish list" for the bike was a more robust horn. SWMBO came through this Christmas with a Screaming Banshee brand "Shockwave" air horn, which I promptly installed as follows:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's quite a bit larger than the factory horn. The instructions indicate that it should be mounted in place of the factory piece, but they also say it shouldn't be exposed to driving rain. A bit contradictory. Plus it's sort of unattractive, and I"m not sure it would even fit in the stock location (I didn't even bother trying). Instead, I found space behind the panel on the right side aft the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a tight fit, and took some trial and error to find the best position and angle. The air horn is intended to mount with a single bolt that is held in a slot cast into the metal body of the horn's motor. I reached into my junk parts bin and found a plastic spacer that would do the trick with some modification. I drilled a hole through the factory plastic body panel back piece and secured the air horn using its supplied bolt and a fender washer on the other side (along with the aforementioned spacer and the supplied lock washer and nut).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that it was a matter of wiring things up per the instructions (though I much prefer to solder and heat shrink my junctions). Here's the finished install:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It protrudes a little beneath the body panel, and I might try and seal up the cavity where the electronics reside better. I did use some dielectric grease on the terminals and connector, but I'm not sure that's enough for the long haul.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed in one thing with this horn. They advertise it as having the feature of a "friendly beep" at first until you hold the button down for at least .15 seconds before it goes into full "GTFO" mode. However, it seems the "Shockwave" model is version 2 of the Screaming Banshee horn system. Version 1 came as two pieces and either retained the factory horn or came with its own secondary - less angry - horn. This one has a jumper/shunt that is supposed to enable that decreased volume for the first .15 seconds. I can tell no difference between the two settings.

• Like Like x 3
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Nice install, i still prefer to shout lol

3. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Wow!
    I just checked out that horn on Youtube.... What a blast! I think you can swipe little mammals off the street with this :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Nice install OP.

As I found out recently when a car pulled out on me the stock horn is super feeble!

First there's that mad scramble to remember where the horn button is because you never use it. Eventually you find it and give it a long press to signal your anger and frustration only to be met with a barely audible peeep. By which time the car is 100 yards away!!!!

Anyone tried one of these? ====>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bik...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Gled.

5. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Update on this: The original horn shat the bed recently. I'll let everyone know how well Screaming Banshee stand behind their 1 year warranty...

6. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Could that be due to the fact the horn is facing forwards and down towards the road? Obviously it makes sense to point the horn in the direction of the idiots but it's also going to swallow loads of water, crud and other stuff.

7. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Funny, I actually use the horn for the exact opposite. When a car let's me through traffic or a biker waves-by I usually honk twice (in a fast and friendly way), if I don't feel like taking my hands from the handlebar.
    For the idiots I drop the 'old' rev-bomb. It conveys the message better, I find.

8. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Perhaps it's not clear from my install photos, but the horn is facing inwards, actually, and mounted high behind the radiator and bodywork. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a wimp, too, and don't ride in the rain anyway.

Based on the reviews for this horn on Amazon since I've purchased, I'm not the only one having problems, unfortunately. Still no reply to my warranty query from the manufacturer.

I followed up with a phone call today to no avail. It IS a federal holiday here in the Colonies, though. Just not one that's as widely-observed anymore - and the company owner is a Kiwi expat living in Florida. Nevertheless, I'll refrain from temper tantrums until at least tomorrow.

9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    There could be an issue if the compressor is not in the virticle or near virticle position. Something to do with the oil not working if horizontal

My split system failed and I replaced the part from the Denali horn. You could use one of those if needed so long as you use the Banshee electrics

10. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    There could be an issue if the compressor is not in the virticle or near virticle position. Something to do with the oil not working if horizontal

My split system failed and I replaced the part from the Denali horn. You could use one of those if needed so long as you use the Banshee electrics

11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    What has stopped working on yours, compressor or horn

12. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I push the button and nothing whatsoever happens. It's all one unit, so without disassembling things, there's no way to further diagnose anything. If I were to do any sort of "exploratory surgery" I would surely invalidate the warranty.

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Ah bugger, as its the new Shockwave I am surprised it has failed so soon.
    I previously had the split system which was much better as you had three components, electrics, compressor and horn, if one failed, it could be replaced.
    Sadly it is not available any more

I hope you do get it resolved quickly, when I had my issue in England, I had no response from the local distributor so emailed the USA company direct and they sent a free replacement compressor by Airmail received in four days.
    Sadly it was the horn that had failed so hence I replaced it with the Denali part.

Do email the USA direct, you may get a lot quicker response, they have more invested in the company than your local distributor.

14. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Final update on this one. I received a horn back in the post yesterday. It wasn't a new replacement. Rather, I'm pretty certain they merely disassembled the one I sent them, fixed a problem and slapped it back together.

It isn't as loud as it originally was, and there's STILL no two-mode operation as-promised (friendly "beep" before full-volume blast).

Furthermore they don't respond to repeated e-mail queries or return phone calls (much less answer the phone).

I'll see how long the replacement/fix lasts, but I don't have much faith it's suddenly good for the long haul.

Bottom line, this product is a great idea with mediocre implementation and backed up by a company with luke-warm customer service. Unfortunately, I would not recommend it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    that's the thing about poor service these companies are not doing their reputation any good in the long term,at least other potential buyers are now aware if they part with their money what to expect when things go wrong there is no hiding place nowadays,its poor show buy another product spend your money elsewhere.

16. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I currently use the Denali split system on my Speed Triple, so there is no soft horn so to speak or main beam flash.
    But it is just as loud.

A silly it on his Kawazaki came speeding up behind me in traffic, beeped at me consistently to be let past only to have to wait for a gap between the cars I was waiting behind.
    As the twat thought it was okay to 'beep' me, I thought I would 'beep' him...you should have seen him jump in his seat and look around for where the blast came from, he couldn't believe it came from my bike.

Just saying these horns are fantastic when they work.

• Like Like x 1