Scratch Removal

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by chuk, Oct 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    looking for advice ive noticed my triples paintwork had lots of minor scratches and swirl marks ive now bought grit guards and stopped using sponges,got a halfords brand microfibre dreadlock type car wash sponge i will use but have seen conflicting advice on removal of scratches/swirlmarks,is it worth paying somebody to professionaly remove the scratches and or detail the bike,ive got bottle of tcut but have read this is too abrasive seen simoniz website advice on using their paint restorer and waxing but im unsure whether to diy and risk further damage or get it done professionally,its just annoying me and seems like its just the clearcoat that has the fine scratches any product recommendations from personal experience welcome.

2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Try looking through detailing forums. I hunt through them for product recommendations and they often have a technical write up about techniques for stuff like this. Some of them are remarkably anal but they know their onions.

3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    llike anything else on web there are umpteen different opinions,the autoglym super resin polish seems s good option i do remember using it on a ypvs350 well over a decade ago.

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire

G4 is shite!!
    Oh that felt goood!

Well I felt I wanted to use those words Jez but in all honesty I use that sort of stuff on a pro basis anyway and it's good!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I wouldn't class it as a scratch if you get my drift just lots of fine swirlmarks and fine scratches by look of it just the clear coat, don't think its actually down as deep as paint layer itself I don't want to use anything too abrasive hence thinking autoglym super resin or similar then maybe a wax of some sort to protect bodywork.

6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    BUT WHO'S :eyes:

7. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    well it has went a wee bit off topic to say the least but no harm done and no animals were harmed l.o.l,ive looked at a few detailing forums and just bought the autoglym super resin polish it seem one of the best rated and not too abrasive which is a big thing,ive not polished any of my bikes including the r1 and the zrx for years so maybe the paintwork on my speedy was already scored and covered up before i bought it,ive got halfords microfibre type sponge so going to use that rather than normal type plus the gritguards for the wash bucket hopefully that will help keep the bodywork decent,ive won a sp engineering silencer for good price on fleabay so just waiting for delivery to get a tad more volume on bike.

8. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    one of them next on shopping list the sp can arrived with strap but no bracket to fit onto bike,just been to local council skip got alumminium sheet so grinder and file time to make bracket,looks like the angle of can bracket will fit behind where the rear brake cyclinder etc bolt to frame need to look at pics of other cans and make something up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    After fecking up the paint on my tank my son suggested I clay bar it then use some Autoglym paint renovater then wax and polish, worked a treat

10. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi mate,
    I had the same, I use meguirs, easily available.

Wash the bike with washing up liquid to get rid of old wax the use ultimate compound to polish out the swirls, by hand takes a while but does the job. Then polish then wax

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...tfhzNV4h03ILrfxmV5MZKH2kbAnOec7oaAggIEALw_wcB

11. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    This is using meguirs ultimate compound with a da polishing machine

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

IMG_20171103_161033328.jpg

IMG_20171103_161130191.jpg

IMG_20171103_161051752.jpg

12. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
  13. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I'm assuming that's what you mean by scratch's and swirl marks, used the same on my car and it comes out the same.