"scratch" On T120 Ace Edition

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by José Sunstrider, May 17, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. José Sunstrider

José Sunstrider New Member

May 17, 2022
    Mexico City
    Hey guys, good day!

I was cleaning my bike yesterday and found a "scratch" on the tank.

I'm a new rider and while I have dropped the bike a couple of times, I'm 100% sure that there hasn't been any damage on that part.

This is more like a "spot" than a scratch and I'm unsure if this could be removed, so far I have only tried water and a soft cloth. I also found similar marks after removing the tank stickers (the ones about the RPMs, oil and helmet)

Tried cleaning it with soft shampoo and a matte detailer but I have been unable to remove those marks so far :/

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

ACE S1.png

ACE S2.jpg

ACE S3.jpg

2. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    Looks more like dirt than damage. I'd try a clay bar on it

3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    NOOOOOoooooooo ............ it's a matt finish! o_O

Do NOT clay bar a matt paint finish, please.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    My mistake. Sorry I've never had matt paint

5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. BRUN

BRUN New Member

Sep 2, 2021
    North West
    Tar remover, let it soak a few mins

Koch Chemie do a matt paint specific one, though the autoglym was fine on mine

Whatever you use, wash it afterwards so nothing stays there for too long, fine to use washing up liquid as a one off degreaser, obviously heavily diluted not neat

If your north west I can give you some of the Koch Chemie

The mark may never come out, you can't polish matt, but those sticker marks can definitely be removed

7. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Looks like the stickers were on for quite some time before being removed.....sun has changed the paint.

I would worry the mark could be made worse trying to improve it.

8. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Any matt finish paint I had left those marks from the stickers. I removed the stickers when the bike was new but the marks were always visible even after years worth of washing. Another reason why I hate matt paint.

9. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    The color paint is matt.....but covered in clear coat gloss???

no marks after my stickers?

10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The coloured paint is all the same, its the lacquered finish that determines if its gloss or matt. If you look very closely at the matt finish you can see its textured and not smooth. The texture means the light doesn't reflect the same and gets scattered giving it that non shiney appearance. Thats why you can't polish it and also why you get bit bits going shiney where your knees rub the tank for example. The finish looks cool in some cases but I hate it! You can't do anything with it bar a respray if you mark it, and its very easy to mark and looks really messy if you do mark it. I've had 3 or 4 different bikes with matt finish and they all had marks after a short time. Horrible stuff, I try to avoid it at all costs. What annoys me even more is Triumph usually only offer 2 colour schemes on a model and more often than not, one is matt, leaving only one pratical colour option to consider.