Scrambler Issue When Hot

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Martin Allen, May 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Martin Allen

Martin Allen New Member

May 28, 2020
    Basingstoke
    Hi, I'm new to the group and looking for help with my 2011 Scrambler. Took the bike out for a short run last weekend and filled up at the local Morrisons as it's pay at the pump and in todays Covid world that seemed more appealing than queuing to pay. Anyway the bike ran fine for around 20 mins then started to drop power, misfire, pop and generally struggle. Luckily I was close to home. I'm not sure if it was the fuel but I've pumped out what was in the tank and today filled up with BP's posh stuff, the bike ran fine until it got warmed up again and then the same poor running happened. Any thoughts on what could be causing or what to try to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    #2 joe mc donald, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Martin Allen
    Check the plugs and see if there is any blocked or crushed pipe work. Also make sure the breather from the tank filler neck is clear. And finally check your air filter. And welcome to the asylum. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show the inmates your steed.
    Regards
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sounds like the sh1t super market fuel has fecked the O2 sensors may improve with use hopefully

4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Maybe an ignition pick up coil inside the engine casing , when it gets hotter it goes open circuit or near enough and so the spark becomes erratic.

5. Martin Allen

Martin Allen New Member

May 28, 2020
    Basingstoke
    Thanks for all the replies, I'll check a few things out and report back .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Next time it happens...open your petrol cap and see if the engine picks up again...if so it's the fuel cap breather blocked.
    If not then some of the above. I'd go for the cheap option first.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Martin Allen

Martin Allen New Member

May 28, 2020
    Basingstoke
    So update on this problem, I replaced the air filter and took the bike for a spin , still had the same proble , after 10 mins and the engine had warned up, it startef missing, and not picking up properly. Got home ordered new spark plugs. Had a cup of tea to think things through. Had another check of the breather pipes etc and cleaned up the battery contacts . It has been pretty warm weather recently so decided to get up early and take the bike for ride in cooler weather. So this morning went out, after about 10 mins it coughed and spluttered slightly but then ran without problem for a good 30mins, I decided to try it again later today when the weather had warmed up and again no problems, so I'm happy to report that I think the problem has been solved, either by running higher octane fuel through the system, by changing the air filter or by pure good fortune!

Thanks to everyone for your help

• Like Like x 3