Scrambler Scrambler Front Fork Reflectors

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Bad Doggie, Jun 27, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Doggie

Bad Doggie Zoom Zoom
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2023
    the Smoky Mountains
    Good day Scramblers,

I've had my 2023 Scrambler XC now for almost a week! Woo Hoo!!! I have the suspension almost where I want it, and have ordered a bunch of "stuff" for it, like Raximo levers, SW-Motech side luggage, a windshield, etc.

My question is: Is there a good way to remove those incredibly ugly front fork reflectors? Just yank them off? Pry them off with something? Any tricks to doing that? I can't stand them but at the same time don't want to scratch the paint/mess up the bike...

Thanks for suggestions!

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not done it myself, but I believe you can use dental floss to ease them off :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. CraigHew

CraigHew Member

Jul 25, 2021
    Whitchurch, Shropshire
    Some heat from a hair dryer first then gently lift off as the glue melts.
    Clean residue off with some polish.....

That's how mine came off anyway....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bad Doggie

Bad Doggie Zoom Zoom
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2023
    the Smoky Mountains
    Thank you for the replies gentlemen!

I heated each reflector a bit with my hott wife's hair dryer, then slowly pried them off using one of those flat plastic tools car shops use to pop open car trim pieces. Once the reflector was off, I heated the residue/goo a bit and it just peeled off cleanly using the same flat car trim tool. Took all of ten minutes start to finish.

5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I use a hair dryer like @CraigHew suggested. But right now since I live in Arizona, I'd only need to park a bike with reflector in the driveway for half an hour and I think they'd melt off by themselves. When I've heated up the reflector with the hair dryer I use fishing line and "saw" from the top down and start pulling gently at intervals until it's off. I use tea tree oil to remove residue.

6. CraigHew

CraigHew Member

Jul 25, 2021
    Whitchurch, Shropshire
    Bet that smells lovely tho.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It does, @CraigHew! :) I learned that little trick right here on the forum. I can't remember from whom.

At the recommendation of the service manager at our local Triumph dealership, I was using lighter fluid to remove sticky residue. It worked like a charm but didn't smell so great and always seemed a little sketchy to me. :eek::joy: I far prefer the tea tree oil. :)

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    A little late in replying, however for those contemplating removing the reflectors, just use strong fishing line and work it side to side down the said reflector, it will come off easy with no risk of damage, and no risk from using a heat gun or similar, the sticky back can be removed with brake cleaner as it will not damage paint or plastics, most alternative products contain some form of chemicals or are petroleum based and if this comes into contact with parts it can mark them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Bad Doggie

Bad Doggie Zoom Zoom
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2023
    the Smoky Mountains
    Thanks Iceman, the hair dryer worked well and doesn't get nearly as hot as a heat gun... with it, warming up the sticky back it was easy to just peel/rub off the sticky back without using any chemicals whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Glad it all went ok

• Agree Agree x 1