Scrambler Scrambler Bluetooth Module

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Martin Bayliss, Nov 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    #1 Martin Bayliss, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Well the news is finally out (first I've heard of it anyway). I asked on the Triumph stand at the NEC when they expected the Bluetooth module out and how much it might be. Unless I'm completely deaf and got the wrong end of the stick, they thought it was going to be some time towards the middle/end 2020 and no idea of cost.

Bugger me, before the show's even over, I get an email from the Triumph dealer that sold me the bike telling me the modules are becoming available at a restricted level to be fitted early next year!!! £200 for the unit, £18.07 for the fitting kit and quite a bit to update the software and fit the whole thing, total £345.00!!!!!!!!!! Having registered an interest online in response to that email, got a phone call Saturday morning from the dealer asking me if I wanted to go ahead and if so, to put a £100 deposit down. Said I'd think about it.

I've thought about it.

The four main functions you get out of this unit are as follows:-
    1. Phone, 2. GoPro, 3. Music, 4. Navigation

I've got a smartphone that hooks up to my Interphone Bluetooth unit, so I can make calls and play music already. I have a GoPro Hero 3 unit so can take pics/video etc. but this module will only work with Hero 5 or later. So the only advantages I would get from this module are the navigation and GoPro facilities (if I bought a newer GoPro). £345 seems a lot to pay for the ability to navigate. I already have a GPS unit I use on my other bikes so I've this afternoon fitted a cradle and power cable to the Scrambler for this unit. Doesn't look as neat as the bespoke Triumph unit but I know it works and more importantly, kept my wallet locked up!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Any current owner should have this fitted free due to the delay in coming to market so late with it

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    I'm not sure it's standard fitment on new bikes. I get the feeling it's an optional extra but I'm quite prepared to be wrong!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I dont think its standard but I think some buyers bought the bike as it was an expected early option

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    I agree with you, but there again can’t see me using it even if I got it for nothing. I ride to escape! So if and when I look at my phone I am “on my bike” so forget it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    Has anyone seen a video clip of what the navigation display looks like when in use?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Don’t think it’s available yet :confused:
    Better not be why they’ve delayed my new Rocket :mad:
    I don’t even want it :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I gather this is the same bluetooth module, for the same TFT screen that I have on my rocket 3 TFC.

I made a post about it here: https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/bluetooth-woes.22707/

Unfortunately, I wouldn't rush out and buy one, it's extremely disappointing.

As to what it 'looks like' on the screen, you don't get a map, only words. When it's working (which is rare at best), you essentially just get "Turn right onto [road name] in [distance]". That's all. It would definitely require an intercom to hear the spoken directions too, but I found that often I'd get the spoken instruction after I'd already gone past the turning/roundabout.