Scrambler 1200xc Smart Key Error

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Gary Boreham, Jun 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary Boreham

Gary Boreham New Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Trowbridge, England
    Yesterday, while riding, I twice got messages saying that my key was out of range. This happened while the key was in my pocket, within the specified distance from the bike (obviously, as I was sat on it) where it had been carried throughout the journey. It appeared to happen as I was attempting to change the riding mode, due to heavy rain. I had to stop at a service station on both occasions and turn off the bike to clear the message.
    I couldn’t find anything in the manual that states what should be done if the bike loses comms with the key while riding.
    Has anyone else experienced this, or have an explanation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Gary, and welcome in :cool::cool: too old school with my bikes I'm afraid, key goes in the ignition ;);)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gary Boreham

Gary Boreham New Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Trowbridge, England
    The bike is a week old! I have it booked in for it’s first service on Thursday so I’ll mention it then. Just wondered if anyone had heard of a glitch being reported elsewhere.
    I’m with Helmet though, what’s wrong with a good old fashioned key? You still need to use the key to unlock the steering lock, so I really don’t see the point. So far, I’ve twice gone to move the bike and forgotten the lock is on because the Smart key is in my pocket. Another pointless invention that we never needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Gary.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Stupid idea - what is wrong with a normal key in the ignition?
    Henry Cole hates these things and I have to agree with him - don't mind it on my car but keep bikes old school! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome. Good luck with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    my new bike is keyless Ade:p.......Now.......where did i put the fob?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gary Boreham

Gary Boreham New Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Trowbridge, England
    Thanks, good point. The only problem is the warning stayed on, but that might just be my lack of familiarity with the bike and not knowing how to clear it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Recmech

Recmech New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Pilbara Western Australia
    Welcome to the forum. (Key in the ignition where it belongs)
    :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Gary and welcome to the forum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Hi Gary and welcome, I had this same warning when I first got my XE, since the first service its been fine. I think you will get a software update then. don`t forget to press the "ok" to remove warnings from the display. mine is 3000 miles of trouble free since the service.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gary Boreham

Gary Boreham New Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Trowbridge, England
    Ok thanks. I tried pressing ‘ok’ but the warning didn’t clear. As you say, probably a software update. Though, having spoken to the dealer, it appears the key being too close to other strong transmitters such as mobile phones could also cause the same problem. However, the bike is set up to continue riding, even if you drop the Smart Key when riding. That’s pleasantly reassuring!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HUBART GUY

HUBART GUY New Member

Jun 14, 2019
    Andenne Belgium
    #13 HUBART GUY, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/rdnWFQRmsafSyD34A
    :mad:
    Hello everyone, I would have liked to post in other subjects, but it's been two and a half months that I have problems getting started with my scrambler 1200xe. Upon delivery to the Triumph dealership, trouble getting started, the TFT screen does not turn on, intervention on the bike, I pass the details, I stayed 3 hours before returning home. since then the problem persists, too, like you, orange witness "keychain out of range" which lights up when I roll https://photos.app.goo.gl/5PQkYAbppqrcfQ5K6 . After several return to the dealership, we tried everything (several reprogramming, new battery, https://photos.app.goo.gl/5PQkYAbppqrcfQ5K6 key change for a new one that they failed to reprogram) I am at the end of the roller.
    I find this in Germany ( look after 12 minutes) : https://youtu.be/JwuCXvbYLmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Gary and welcome to the forum :cool: good luck with messages, hope service sorts it out

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gary Boreham.
    Welcome to the family. Sorry to hear about your woe's Hope it all gets sorted I myself do like the key. Do drop us a picture of the steed when you get a better day.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    HUBART GUY.
    Welcome to the family. Best to start a topic all of your own Mate. It get's more response from the inmates. Picture of the steed also goes down well.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Gary. Enjoy the ride ... well at least when the key's in touch.

20. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Keyfob out of range is very common on this Triumph keyless system. I get it all the time on my Tiger 1200. On my 4th keyfob battery since Jan 2018, never seems to make much difference. I've learnt to live with the error messages which are quite random. Some days it is fine, others not. As of today bike not powering up dash, totally dead with electronic handlebar lock on, can't wait to see what the tow trucks going to do!

21. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    I get the keyfob out of range issue occasionally while riding. It usually goes away after a bit. It has never caused me any problems, at least not in the first 2000 miles so far. Bike always powers on and starts, and once in a while I get a keyfob out of rage message, but it always goes away after a few minutes. I reported it to my Triumph dealer and they told me to try replacing the battery, which I did, but the issue still persists occasionally. They then told me that there are no software updates available yet, but it will likely be addressed when one comes out. I'm just going to deal with it as-is until the fall, then get it in to have the leaky rear turn signals replaced and see about having them update software or replace the key sensor at that time.

Have you tried the emergency start procedure for when the keyfob battery dies. You gotta hold the keyfob or one of your spare keys in a sweet spot in the phone box under the seat. On my XC it is really picky about where you hold it, but I have found that if you face the bike east, stand it up straight but with the kickstand still down, place the key down over the marked spot in the phone box with the embelm facing your handlebars, stand on your left foot and do 3 calf raises, then hold your breath, the computer powers up every time without hesitation. If I don't follow that process its 50/50.

• Funny Funny x 3