Scrambler Scrambler 1200 Xe Cold Start Cam Chain & Valve Train Noise

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Jon@Camano, Dec 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon@Camano

Jon@Camano New Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Washington State
    New to Triumph motorcycles. Wondering if this is normal for my 1200 twin? About a week ago, I noticed a lot of noise (seemed like a cam chain) for around a minute or so. I figured it was due to the cam tensioner, especially since the bike had not been run for a month. Also, I noticed quite a bit of valve train noise for the first few minutes after a cold start that gradually disappears. Is this normal? Really enjoy the bike. There is nothing like it.

Also wondering if Someone could send me a link to a valve adjustment for the Scrambler 1200 engine. I have seen lots of videos for the smaller Scrambler engines but not yet a recent 1200. Disappointed that Triumph makes it so difficult to access their service manual. Thank you.

Jon

2. jcjones

jcjones New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    england
    My Xe does this too, especially after a oil change. Apparently it takes time for the oil pressure to operate the automatic cam chain tensioner after a cold start.
    Are still enjoying the bike ? Had mine 18 months now, thinking of selling because of noisy top end when hot.