Scrambler Scrambler 1200 Mud On Radiator.

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Shaun64, Feb 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I did my first 500 miles on my scrambler 1200 Xe in December which showed up the only real problem with the bike so far and that’s mud off the front wheel blathering the radiator even with the triumph radiator guard fitted,it came clean with a soft toothbrush and muck off,mines an XE with the high front mudguard and triumph don’t make a fender extender for the high level mudguard. I tried making a pyramid thruxton fender extender to fit but it was miles away,in the end I made an aluminium guard that fits the bottom of the radiator which stops the bottom third of the radiator getting muddy,i then bought a bike mud flap off eBay for £5 which I’ve stuck on which doesn’t look out of place in the flesh but I’ve yet to test but I am confident it should work ok, has anyone else had ago at this problem? If so does it work?

2BE46AEC-BC19-4816-AF4A-F3AF515DF119.jpeg

7BB7B288-BDD5-44F0-929D-6DAB388CB674.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Beats me why it’s the customer who has to sort out a rather obvious issue on a bike sold as a ‘real deal’ rugged, off road, dusty, muddy, trail blazing piece of machinery...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    1582557991557.jpg

Triumph should sell a "Steve McQueen ISDT Front Mudguard". :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Yes and they should make the bike again as well ... just look at the size of that mudguard ...very functional I’d say and not even having to protect a rather vulnerable radiator!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Oh yes, ... and what a great photo of a real inspirational motorcycling enthusiast ... top marks from me !

• Like Like x 2
  6. FlyingMuleRIder

FlyingMuleRIder Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Montana
    This is a real problem with the 1200 XE.
    Anyone identify an aftermarket commercial fix yet? Mine also has the high fender. Triumph needs to resolve this issue.
    Thanks- Dave

7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I had this problem on my Street Scrambler which had the high level mudguard fitted on purchase which was quickly replaced with the standard item in addition to the fender extender which I extended further with a piece of sheet plastic. It doesn't do any serious off roading but the front of the bike was getting covered in salt laden Winter road crap which probably does more damage than "clean" mud.

8. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    Fitted one a bit longer than this one and it works great. Good solid mounting the way the low front guard is put together.
    Screenshot_2021-06-06-23-04-01-28.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Nice job Haro, I see by the red “persuader” that your tool box is well equipped. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If I'd have been designing the 1200 Scrambler with more off road "intent" as triumph claim I'd have fitted 2 small side mounted rads, like most other dirt bikes including my Husaberg, instead of one large rad mounted centrally directly in the line of fire from the front wheel. Just sayin'.

• Agree Agree x 1