Scrambler 1200 Broke Down

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Shaun64, Oct 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I had quick run out on the scrambler 1200 this afternoon, after 20mins riding I got ocabs abs disarmed on the clock , I pulled over turned the bike off and restarted it and all was well for a few miles then it came on again, once I arrived at the cafe I turned it off and tucked into a bacon sarny only to notice the bikes lights had come on and the clocks were lit up, I tried to start the bike and it wouldn’t, after 3 hours the RAC arrived, he had a quick look round the bike and tried to start it but there was nothing at the starter button but the clocks were lit up, while I was going through what had happened the fuel pump primed which made us both say did you here that, he tried the starter button and it fired up, I rode home with ocabs and engine management light on and bike ran normally, once home the bike won’t restart again on the button but clocks are lit up, I’ll ring triumph in morning,has anyone had anything similar?.

2. jcjones

jcjones New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    england
    Sorry to hear about your problems, sometimes these things can be caused by loose connections or a duff sensor. Just out of interest did triumph put it right for you ??
    So far my Xe has had no problems accept for sounding like a bag of spanners. A triumph engineer listened to it and said it’s normal. What do you think ?

3. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    That sounds normal to me, my bike is still at the dealer, they have replaced a imu sensor which didn’t fix it and now waiting for a reply from triumph, I’ve a t120 on loan which is a lovely bike and my dealer cobb & jagger have kept me well informed but hopefully it’ll be fixed soon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jcjones

jcjones New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    england
    I’m glad they’re on it ! Electrical faults are always hard to find, sometimes it’s trial and error. I was thinking of taking mine in for a premature valve check, which is not cheap.
    I’m new to triumph and can’t believe how much they rattle. It’s doing my head in.
    Does the T120 make that noise ? I believe it’s the same engine.

5. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    how many miles has it done?.

6. jcjones

jcjones New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    england
    It a little over 3000 miles last time I looked , never pushed too hard either.

7. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    there not supposed to sound like a Honda in-line four, mines noisy compared to some bikes but remember there’s no fairing which can soften noise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    It’s taken 8 weeks to fix but I’ve finally got my scrambler 1200 Xe back, it’s had a new wiring loom,ecu, transponders, new key,the delay was caused over getting a new key cut at the triumph factory, after picking the bike up I was making my way home only to discover the heated grips weren’t working correctly so I turned round and back to the dealer who have been excellent (cob& jagger in Shipley), within a couple of days the bike was picked up and returned with new heated grips, if anything else goes wrong with the bag of shite it’s going as I’ve lost confidence in it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    First ride out on the bike since it was repaired today, all was going well until the screen started to flicker with key is too far from the bike , it then got progressively worse until it was on just about all the time,not happy and wish I’d never bought the pile of shite.

10. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    To be fair, thats a common thing that the key is out of range.
    I put a proper duracell battery in and it's been fine for well over a year.
    Worth a go?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I’ve had bike to triumph this morning, they think it could be battery so changed it for a wurth one and all’s well but I am going to take your advice and get a Duracell battery,cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I put a Duracell battery in the fob and it’s not flashed or flickered since thanks for the advice,the one triumph put in a varta was flashing first time out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    good to hear!
    Don't lose hope as you’ve got a good bike there!

• Thanks Thanks x 1