Scrambler Scrambler 1200 Battery Specs And Lithium Alternative

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Haro, Aug 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    Does anyone know the weight, size and specs of the OEM battery in the XE? Thanks.

2. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    Looks like it's a YTX12-BS, so 150x87x130. 10Ah, 180 CCA, 1.2A charge, 4.2kg weight with acid (going from Yuasa's numbers)

3. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    Exactly 3.1 kg difference in weight.
    Batteries are same physical size.
    IMG_20200902_154813.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ole Fjæstad

Ole Fjæstad New Member

Oct 16, 2021
    Norway
    Hi. First post as just bought a low milage Scarmbler 1200 XE. Always switch to lithium battery as easy way to save weight fairly cheap.

Any reason not to go for lithium, some say electronics may be affected? Anyone tried (seems so from pic in post above)?

5. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    I can't think of any — the battery can't charge to a higher voltage than the alternator. What i don't know about lithium is how they work for starting (as opposed to steady-state loads).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ole Fjæstad

Ole Fjæstad New Member

Oct 16, 2021
    Norway
    Lithium works really well for starting, starts as soon as you touch the button. When it's cold (like zub zero cold) it first seems like battery is almost dead but after a couple of tries it wakes up and start the bike no problem.

But only had it on bikes with less electronics (KTMs 2000-2010) so was wondering if more sensitive with newer bikes.

7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Li Ion & LiFePo4 batteries require 3 stage charging unlike their LA equivalents. Like for like replacements usually have some charging circuitry incorporated in the battery to achieve this. Even Lithium batteries with a low AH rating are capable of delivering large amounts of short duration current so engine starting is no problem. Personally I can't really see the point in paying a premium for a lithium battery to save 2 or 3 kg on a heavy roadbike, it's not as if it's unsprung weight either.
    On a lightweight dirt or race bike maybe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    consider warming the battery for a bit before starting the bike. Maybe just run the lights for a minute.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ole Fjæstad

Ole Fjæstad New Member

Oct 16, 2021
    Norway
    #9 Ole Fjæstad, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Yes, seen that advice as well. Main reason I just try to start a couple of times instead, is simply that on my KTM450, which is the bike I use in winter, the lights are switched on when you start the bike. So a bit Catch22 but my method works luckily. Lithium OE on the 450 BTW.

Regarding charging, I do have a charger which charges lithium batteries, but my experience is that the lithium batteries stay charged for a long time, even through winter, unless something is draining it. I normally just disconnet the battery and put them in some old cooking pots as seen reports that they could catch on fire, though very unlikely I guess.

Also agree that less important saving weight on a big bike like the Scrambler 1200 so probably won't do it till need replacement. Maybe :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Per Tollefsen

Per Tollefsen Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Arendal Norway
    I have a lithium on my 2003 Aprilia Caponord 1000. It works well - easy starting. When it`s time to replace the gel battery on my 1200 XC I will go for lithium.

• Like Like x 2