Thruxton Scorpion

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Wallcrawler, Aug 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    #1 Wallcrawler, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Just installed my new beautiful Scorpion Headers on the Thruxton R. So worth the wait, I thought the second time removing the cat would be easy and I was wrong. I feel sorry for my frame, but love the outcome.

20170816_192838.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Sorry Wallcrawler, but I wouldn't be able to see beyond that 'kink'.

Spoils the lines in my opinion.

3. FarkyNell

FarkyNell Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    manchester
    Bet they sound fab. Any chance you can post a clip to show what they sound like?

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Shame about the kink - o_O - but enjoy the sound!

5. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    #5 Wallcrawler, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    The "kink" looks much better in person thankfully. To my eye it had that bend put in for cornering clearance as it is identical per side and right where the bike hits the ground at full lean. I would prefer to keep my exhaust from dragging in corners. Not to be personal, but I can never get enough kink in my life anyway so I kind of like it.

20170816_192821.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    I will get a sound clip, currently running stock slip-ons and planning am upgrade so i can get the comparison recorded. The set-up sounds mild at idle and partial throttle, but when you open things up the sound is beautiful. Once I decide on the right silencer (loudener) I'll post that up.

7. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    Here's the latest update. The Scorpion headers and that odd bend mentioned above limit cornering clearance by a noticeable margin. I was following my best friend on his 2016 Thruxton R, trying to take it fairly easy because of the odd front brake lever feel I have due to air in the a.b.s. (I need to admit this is 8/10s pace) when the tow slider than the peg are dragging in a tight decreasing radius right hander. I shifted a bit more weight into the corner to keep the bike more upright and leaned just a bit more, the header firmly impacted the ground and lifted the front wheel from the tarmac. This is my first road crash in the past 16 years with over 100k miles on sport and adventure bikes. This would not have happen with the stock headers in place, I've folded that peg up in corners before and never touched another part of the bike to the ground.
    What I learned; the Scorpion headers limit ground clearance noticeably, get that weird initial brake lever feel bled out at the dealer as you cannot do it I your own, for God's sake wear your knee sliders on spirited rides, d30 is as good as people say on absorbing energy and saving your human parts when you hit the ground.

• Useful Useful x 1