Featured Saved By The Pegs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Chocolate Rat, Jun 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chocolate Rat

Chocolate Rat Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Norfolk, UK
    Having been a Street Triple owner for a number years I always preferred how the bike looked without the rear hangers/pillion pegs. After changing to my first Speed Triple I had fully intended on removing the pegs for the same look. A bit more hassle but thought it would be worth it. For some reason I hadn't got around to it. I am so glad that I didn't because yesterday, while parked up in a supermarket car park, the bike somehow managed to fall over. To say I am pi$$ed is an understatement, but aside from a nasty scratch to the alternator cover which is replaceable, a barely noticeable scratch to the mirrors, I got off very likely and thanks to the rear pegs. I noticed they took some of the load and thus prevented a really nasty incident to the Arrow exhaust (muffler if you are reading this across the pond). I can replace the hanger too if I want but just a word of warning to those that might want to remove them, they also act as good impact protection!

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Always in neutral and facing uphill.!!

3. Chocolate Rat

Jun 18, 2020
    Norfolk, UK
    I must confess that I don't always leave it in gear but expensive lesson learned, perhaps I should from now on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bad luck mate, hope you can fix it without any problems. I always try and parked with the bike pointing up an slope/hill and If I cannot then leave it in gear... mind we have all dropped a bike at some time in our riding lifes..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I bet that was not in the script :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Some of more than others Wessa! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Chocolate Rat

Jun 18, 2020
    Norfolk, UK
    It actually happened on my IAM course but not to me. I won't say anything further in case either of the observers are reading this :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hard luck mate, but sort of good news, still p1sses you off though :mad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Rookie mistake. Never, never leave you're bike in Neutral. Home, garage, street. Never.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Chocolate Rat

Jun 18, 2020
    Norfolk, UK
    Well that's told me :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Martin I

Martin I Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Zurich
    Exactly this. I was taught to leave it in gear when parked on day 1. Neutral is just for starting her up/rolling back. That’s it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Leaving any vehicle parked "In Gear" drive's the oil out from between the contact surfaces , and an extra cautionary tale ! Diesel vehicles can start if left in gear and they roll ... ! I've seen the results of one Australian Army Mack Truck left in gear ! It started and rolled at Idle speed in second gear , didn't stop until the fencing it ran through finally tangled up the back axles enough to stall it ! About 50/60 metres into the next Units Compound !

• Like Like x 1
  13. Martin I

Martin I Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Zurich
    It would have to be a pretty hot day for a petrol vehicle to start, from rolling in gear ;)

I park my bike on a slope, needs to be in gear or it'll roll. I also turn my car wheels towards the kerb.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    I know I’m bad ,but the language when that bm started to fall was classic,,get that clip on to Harry hill,,you will get your £250 for sure,,,feel your pain tho.