Satnav Recommedations Please.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sprinter, Jun 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    After the Scottish Tour and speaking to Figwold about satnavs I think I may take the plunge.
    What have you got and what would you recommend, please?
    For motorbike only, if that makes a difference.
    Or
    Is google maps on your phone just as good?

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Cheers Andy which models are up to date and which do you think are still viable?

3. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hello sprinter, very wise decision! Personally, I always used a Garmin zumo 550, but when I bought the speed, made the switch to tomtom, got the rider 550. Reason for me to switch to TomTom, was because of a couple of reasons:
    - money wise. TomTom is cheaper than Garmin.
    - Route planning: easy make a trip on your tablet or pc, just click sync with system, and when you turn on TomTom, it will download the route via WiFi.
    - WiFi, having WiFi on my Navi is a BIG plus.
    - making a quick afternoon trip: just tap your destination (ice cream shop :cool:) and make round trip over winding roads (setting works perfect for me)

Ok, I don’t have TomTom shares, so also a down side.
    - Connecting with phone and headset is a pain in the butt.
    - when you want to go out in a hurry, your Navi starts to update via WiFi...

So... I would choose the TomTom if I where you.. but that’s personal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    If you have the option... get the 500 series. There is a new processor in the 500, which is WAY faster then the previous ones.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Collins Road Atlas.:cool:
    No satellite/electrical connections/switching on required.:)
    Retired lorry driver - old habits die hard.:p

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sorry, Jez. Me no speaky Swahili!:confused:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    I mounted my 8" Android tablet on the handlebar with a RAM mount. I use Sygic GPS navigation (available for Android and IOS). 100% offline maps (no WIFI required) including rerouting or adding waypoints etc. so you can pick the route you like. Sygic use professional maps with POIs such as petrol stations etc., not the usual public domain maps like openstreet maps. I absolutely love it (I am not associated with them!). If it rains I can put the tablet in my pocket and still get spoken directions via Bluetooth to my intercom. To keep the tablet charged, I use an Optimate USB charger which does not draw current when the bike is off. I use a magnetic USB cable (amazon) so removing the tablet takes 1 second. I think this is a valid alternative to a dedicated navigator since it costs way less and there are so many cool apps for motorcyclists, for example I love Ulysse (a speedometer) and Speedbot (same and connects to the ECU too!) or many other GPS apps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    • Like Like x 1
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    A lot of it comes down to what you’re used to, I always had a tomtom in my car, but bought a garmin 380 for the bike, just couldn’t get on with it, the tomtom interface seemed so much better, I sold it at a great loss and bought a tomtom 450 which I find great. Ok if you want live traffic you have to tether your phone to it unlike the 550 but, I think, where you are sprinter you don’t really need to worry about live traffic.
    On the fleet bloodbikes we have a mixture of garmins and tomtoms and I still prefer the tt over the garmin

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I bought one of those earlier this year to replace my ancient Garmin 550. That 346 is nice bit of kit.

Then I saw that sportsbike shop had discounted the Garmin 595 by almost a third. I bought one and sold on the 346 nearly getting all my money back. Customer reviews for the 595 were mainly positive with a few complaining that the screen was hard to see in bright sunlight. I ignored that advice and bought one anyway. Hard to see !!!!! It's nigh on impossible to see. Wished I'd kept the 346 as that had a perfectly acceptable screen.

Btw I don't think any of them can hold a candle to my old 550. Graphics on that were excellent.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the Garmin 595.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    The pairing has to be done in a specific order - Phone to headset, Tomtom to phone, tomtom to headset.
    I really like my Tomtom, it was dead easy to put the routes Dougie D had prepared for The Scottish road trip on it. I think Garmin is just a bit too complicated at times.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    No offspring at all mate - have to fend for myself! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
  15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Google maps on phone, check route before ride, put in pocket and remember route, take wrong turn, find new and interesting places, stop for brew and cake, check google maps on phone, repeat :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    What I find attractive about these, is seeing the corner in front of you (complete with exit) before you enter it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I've tried the "google maps on phone in the pocket" approach and the trouble is if you're on a motorway or fast A road you can't hear your headset for the wind noise. So I think I need a proper Sat Nav. The question is, will I be able to see it ? :rolleyes:

18. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Fit it at arm's length mate - just in front of the fairing? :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Has anyone got any feedback on Google maps on a phone, mounted on the bike?
    If that works, then why spend loads.

20. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Haven't used that James, but I'd imagine one of the advantages of a dedicated sat nav is that you can see what's in front of you - as far as I know Google Maps doesn't do that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If you really want something that you can plan routes with, change enroute etc etc then get a satnav if you’re not too bothered use your phone. I find google maps, sometimes, can lag behind. I like planning routes and using my tomtom there’s usually no probs, on my thruxton I use my phone and sygic and every time I encounter a problem, small but annoying

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    This is what I use. Bought an Interphone case for my iPhone and use either Google maps or maps.me (which is free and maps are downloadable for if phone signal is weak)
    Works brilliantly, can get instructions through my headset via Bluetooth, and all on one device
    A much cheaper option than a dedicated satnav if you don’t take into account the cost of the phone of course ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Google maps does do it, it works just like a TomTom when you get directions and you can even put waypoints in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I did not know that - lesson learned!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I think, trying google first would be wise.
    Ifits everything I want fine if not then Satnav it will have to be.

• Like Like x 1
  26. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Google maps is more limited in its route planning than a TomTom but it does give you the option of adding a waypoint on your route and avoiding motorways and tolls. More than adequate for my needs.
    To be honest, I tend to pre plan a route on long journeys/tours to go cross country on more interesting roads, and have a good idea of where I’m going before I even use the satnav.

• Like Like x 2
  27. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can you share,save your routes or import routes with google maps on your phone?