Satnav/headphones Let-down

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Biker Jock, Jun 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I like to think that my navigation is pretty good. I've been driving & riding around the country for a very long time, have a good idea where most major places are and like to memorise a route to see if the brain still works. I resort to satnav when under time pressure on an unfamiliar route, or need to find an address in a town or city (and usually don't switch satnav on until nearly there).

But yesterday, coming home from visiting friends, I was following a vaguely memorised route when I came across "road ahead closed". Of course, I didn't believe it and kept going past several "road ahead really is closed. Honest!" signs before, guess what... ...the road was actually closed! Bugger!

So now under severe time pressure to get home at promised time, and not sure the best way to proceed, I get the satnav out and fixed to the bars. Switch on the Sena headphones - nothing - they gradually drain the battery and I had forgotten to charge them before leaving home. OK, I'll follow the pictures on the satnav, but for some reason yet to be diagnosed, the satnav remained stubbornly confused about where we were.

Forced to find my way, navigating by sense of smell* and managed to get home on time, only slightly wet, not cold and certainly not miserable (180 mile day run through mainly countryside - great). Satnav might get put in a drawer now, classified as technology that serves only to annoy and frustrate.

*Trivia question - who famously "played by sense of smell"?

• Like Like x 5
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

TOMMY:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Good man! Join in when you want, with much windmilling of right arm against air guitar...

Ever since I was a young boy,
    I've played the silver ball.
    From Soho down to Brighton,
    I must have played them all...

Best ever Who number (well, top equal with Won't get Fooled Again, oh and Pictures of Lily and maybe Substitute, and definitely not forgetting My Generation)

• Like Like x 4
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    And Baba O Reilly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    all of 'em ..... but Substitute for the drumming. Moon was King. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Moon was a looney !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    And a drumming genius. Although I did watch a documentary that claimed he wasn't technically a good drummer, but he was just brilliant at what he did do on the drums.

We did have a severely damaged KM drum stick from a concert they did in Dundee in the early 1970s, but it went AWOL during a house move. Nothing to authenticate it though, so probably worth nowt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Pity about the stick - would have been worth the memories, for sure.

Technicality and technique? Maybe not but, yeah, KM has to have been THE best 'natural' rock drummer ever .... though, no doubt, the inevitable debate will rage on!

Few people ever seem to mention "Nobody's fault but mine" when discussing JB's best work but, for me, it has that kind of "wild and untramelled" feel of most of Moon's stuff. Love 'em both.