Satnav For Two Bikes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Octoberon, Jul 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    In the extended bike garage we refer to as 'the house', our attention is turning to a road trip pencilled in for September, when we plan visit friends in Spain. If I try to find my way there using my own navigational skills we'll probably end up in Azerbaijan so I'm in the market for a bike satnav. I did some googling earlier (actually duckduckgo-ing, but that tends to raise awkward questions and is harder to spell) and came across a handy comparison between the Garmin 396 LMT-S and TomTom Rider 500, which in the spirit of biker camerderie I shall share...

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/motorcycle-technology/tomtom-vs-garmin-review-which-is-best-motorcycle-sat-nav

I'm leaning towards the TomTom, not solely based on that review, but I'm open to other thoughts/opinions/general abuse. Whichever device is finally selected, it has to live on both my Street Triple and Multistrada. Not at the same time, obviously - that would pose several existential problems. The TomTom seems the most swappable and reportedly has the better interface and screen so is currently ahead on (way)points.

I know many people are more than happy with Google Maps but I don't want to strap my iPhone to the bike and the additional features of a proper satnav, like creating routes etc., are definitely on my wish list. I also don't want to constantly use data abroad, or have Google following me around.

2. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    I use the TomTom. Never tried the other so cannot compare. The TomTom is great. Has a setting to adjust sensitivity depending on thickness of gloves. Also you can set different levels of ‘windiness’ and elevation to it, although take that with a pinch of salt. I once set it for most windy and ended up riding all round the back streets of villages; not windy just going round blocks o_O
    Easy to see screen. Can flip both ways. Accurate and good for traffic info. Mine also has speed cameras but I think I paid extra. Mine also has an antitheft fitting so you can leave it attached. Fits neatly on my street triple and wired to my battery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I use both garmin and tomtom and personally prefer the tomtom. The touch screen is a lot better, ie zooming out adding waypoints whilst planning routes on the device, loading an entered route once planned is a lot quicker. I owned my own garmin but got rid of it quite quickly after trying to get my head round it, someone bought it so people obviously like them.
    You will find people get very loyal to their satnavs so you will have stirred up a hornets nest here

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    TomTom would appear to be easier to use initially and is more basic*.
    Garmin, you can do more with, but have to spend some time understanding it.
    A bit like Apple and Windows I guess :D

*in the interest of full disclosure, it's been a while since I used a TomTom.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RustySprockets

RustySprockets New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Ireland
    I have not had a GPS specific to bikes; however, from overall usage of several map technologies, etc, I would recommend TomTom. Have had an app on an iPhone for years that apart from an annoying 'upgrade' from a bought solution to a subscription plan has been spot on. Previous TomTom physical device was great too.

To me it comes down to map tech and useful features. I find TomTom good with both, like simply displaying the signposted speed limit and static cameras. Can also load in mobile cameras with a reasonably active community. There is that subscription plan I suppose and the map updates.

Have been thinking about maps myself, although think I will just use the TomTom Go app on the iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bloody hell mate, "got rid of it" don't tell @Tiglet ! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I know you’ve said you don’t really want to use your phone, but thought I’d just mention Maps.me
    It’s free and you can download maps of the areas you’re going so you’re not using data.
    The route planning isn’t as intuitive as TomTom but it’s free. ;)

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Can't you also download google maps so they're off line?

9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I use a garmin on my bike, works for me... got Tom Tom in the car and I hate it. From other threads on this subject it boils down to personal taste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    My first ever sat nav was a Tom Tom in the car. After 15 months the power socket broke. Ever since I've used Garmin units and been very happy with them. Like folk say, you tend to like what you are used to.

11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Got Satnav in the cars,use Garmin Zumo on the bike.

Got me Garmin Satnav from off here and it works great :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    TomTom on the bike, Waze in the car. Works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Tom Tom for me every time. I tried Garmin but their operating system felt clunky and not intuitive to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    At the moment I mostly use Google Maps on my phone which I keep in my pocket and just rely on voice commands (via bluetooth to my helmet intercom). However I will be trying CoPilot GPS, I used to use it for years, before I had a car with built in satnav, and found it to be very good for my needs. I have an old phone which I'll install it on, to use as my main satnav, then I can have it attached to my bike or tank bag and not have to detach it if I want to use my phone.

CoPilot is only £13.99 for 12 months with full coverage of Europe (worldwide maps also available), and includes speed camera warning for most of Europe, although you can download just UK & Ireland map to save space.

You can also trial it for 14 days free: https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/compare-features/#pricing

• Like Like x 3
  15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    SHHH! POS only cost me a tenner!!! He still thinks he got a bargain

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Another for tomtom, easy to use. More accurate than google maps. Ram mount left on both my bikes with a power lead on both, seconds to swap over.
    The obvious advantages over a phone app perhaps the 2 most important being, waterproof as is and you dont use up your phone battery so that is still available for emergencies. On a multiday trip i often leave my phone switched off apart from possible accommodation searches, even a power hungry smart phone lasts indefinitely then.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    If you are interested in co pilot, it is very very good, far superior to google maps in precise location, guidance and instruction and junction clarity. I use it in the car but if you can wait, very often after the trial they will offer deals. I bought it at £17.99 for lifetime map updates for the whole of Europe, absolute steal. Been using it on several phones for several years now. Active traffic is £8.99 a year but i tend not to bother.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Sounds good to me. I believe the camera locations are there as standard now but I could be wrong. It's happened before. In theory I'll have to turn that feature off in France. Hopefully that's in the settings.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Thanks, I used it for years and preferred it to TomTom and the satnav I currently have in my car now. I've just installed it on my phone and my only criticism so far is that it has lost the avoid motorways feature, so you manually have to tell it to avoid any motorways on your route, which is a pain but not a show stopper.

20. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I have used a Garmin before but not for motorcycles, and it was about 12 years ago so I'm not letting that sway my view either way. Things will have moved on.

I don't suppose either device is 'bad' and people will have their own preferences. I'll aggregate the views, add my own and hand over my debit card to the winner.

• Like Like x 2