Sat Nav Using Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chris Wise, May 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    My good old Garmin Zumo sat nav has given up and it is time to replace it .The problem I have is my old Garmin I used a 3mm plug connected to a set of ear plugs but I am now told the new sat nav do not have this facility,all the new sat nav use a Bluetooth connection .Here is the problem for and old git like me who does not understand all this tech stuff .I like the new Tom Tom rider Sat nav and they all use Bluetooth but the Bluetooth devices that the dealers are quoting are more expensive then the bloody sat nav .So if I budget for about £400 for a new sat nav and with the Bluetooth device that I am being quoting I am looking at about between £ 600 and £700 to replace my sat nav .Is this right or am I being taken for a ride .I not bothered about making any phone calls on my smart phone because I do not have a smartphone .I am not bother about an intercom .I just want it to operate my sat nav Can someone point me in the right direction here so I can get a new sat nav without taking out a mortgage .I just want a Bluetooth device to operate a sat nav .I have always had Garmin sat nav but it seems that theTom Tom rider is the sat nav to go for now ?.If I have to fork out £700 to replace my sat nav Ithink might have to go back to the good old road map !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Why go to the expense of a new sat nav? I just use my phone. Google maps is great and it’s free.:grinning:
    It just cost me £50 for a good waterproof case.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Sorry David, I didn’t notice you’d already said about a phone :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I’ve used a proper Tomtom Rider V5 for about four years now, it uses a wired cradle, just pops in, no pissing about with waterproof covers, I’d never go back to using an iPhone on my bike for navigation.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    :yumThanks everyone .I think I was being lead up the garden path by the dealer .Very grateful for all your advise .Make more sense .Think I will buy the TOM TOM V5 has suggested and also a Fodsport BT-S2 blue tooth .Thanks you all have just saved me a lot of money Great:yum

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Glad we managed to help mate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Can someone recommend a reasonable priced Bluetooth to use with my old Garmin Zumo Sat Nav . Just need it for the sat nav . I do not want to talk to other people on it or make phone calls ,just solely for the sat nav ( and I do not have a smart phone )

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chris Wise.
    I had the very same. now I will only use a phone Paired with a SMH5-FM COST £135 all fitted to my helmet. TomTom will never get another penny from me. I purchased a Tom Tom 2006 model. Then last year they tell me I can't update it or do anything with it and blame it on the satilite. I used it twice. Bloody robbery.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Just for the record, I bought one of these months ago to use with my phone
    https://www.getgeared.co.uk/interphone-shape-bluetooth-intercom-single-pack-black
    Very happy with it, easy to set up, has a radio and the battery lasts ages.
    But after using it with my phone I decided I really wanted a real sat nav so i've just bought one of these
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/395479
    Only had it a few days, easy to fit, easy to use. I'm just learning how to use the Garmin Basecamp software on my PC at the moment. Just set up my first route yesterday, can't try it just yet as it's in Spain.

11. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Cheers, will have a look at that.

12. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Do you have to buy it to get the functionality needed ?

13. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Thanks , andypandy . the Shape Bluetooth looks like just what I was looking for .It should be compatible with the Garmin Zumo