Sat nav or iPhone

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by JimDiesel, Mar 4, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Anybody have experience of using an iPhone as sat nav?
    Can't decide whether to use the iPhone or a Tom Tom, im liking the idea of iphone as its less to carry as opposed to phone and tomtom...
    Obviously i will need to buy a mount and waterproof case for which ever I decide, which will be next question, can anyone recommend a good mount and waterproof case??
    Cheers:rolleyes:

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Was having the same thoughts myself about using my HTC smart phone as a navigater. Tried the navigation feature on the phone last weekend on a ride up the Peaks, linked up easily to my Interphone f5 headset so didn't need to see the screen which was in my tank bag.

I did find a problem and I think it is a problem that will affect all smart phones with a navigation app; when I went into an area with no phone signal I lost the data link to the phone and the phone did not know where it was. Trouble is unlike dedicated Sat Navs the phones download the maps as they use them where as the sat nav has all its maps stored and you only need a satalite signal.

Going to get a Garmin 660 I think

• Like Like x 1
  3. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Thanks Rich,
    All though I have been told that if you buy a navigation app then the smartphone will hold all the necessary maps..
    Also, I have been told the phone will use GPS and GPRS where as a sat nav will only use one.
    The reason I am swaying away from a sat nav is that when we were heading to the alps last year, the sat navs (2xgarmins and 1xtomtom) which were on other bikes in the group did not always refresh in time on islands etc...

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I have the just bought the Garmin 350.. not used it in anger yet on the bike but struggled with a non bike tomtom last year in a waterproof case... could not see the screen in sunlight and it was always running out of battery... hence decided to get a full bike Sat-nav to try... Decided on Garmin because of lifetime maps... Tomtom man at heart though.... Got to be better than iPhone i assume as have issues with maps and refresh times on mine.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Hey ScrewBall, many thanks for your reply, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for...
    Speed Trip R Dark!!! Lucky Mo ... :upyeah:

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Jim notice your a man after my own heart.. DRZ as well top fun.... Was looking at the white Speed but when I saw the Dark was coming out stuck my name down straight away..... Just come from a superduke and am plesently supprised by the handling of the R... Tried an old Speed when I had my Street and did not like it compared to the Street....

• Like Like x 1
  7. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Dude, the dark is horrible, but as you are now a fellow forum buddy, I will on this occasion swap my white speed for your horrid horrid dark R.... Only cos its you though, :eek: :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Jim that sounds like a bargain.......

For U....:upyeah: It only has 30m on it as British weather is rubbish.........

9. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Deal :upyeah:

10. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    I have used my samsung galaxy s2 in the van. It uses google maps on the gps. No data at all. So long you have the maps updated, no problems...
    I also use Navfree, you just download in the apps store, update the maps you need, no data, no problem...
    I have bought one of those waterproof cases on ebay, with connections to the battery. Going to try it on speedy.
    The last 2 weeks in august I will be back in the UK, going to do John O`groats to Landsend, my first long trip.
    So I hope it works...

• Like Like x 5
  11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Enjoy:

4 Corners 083.jpg 4 Corners 092.jpg

4 Corners 083.jpg

4 Corners 092.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Good luck with that, got to be best part of 1000 miles surely? :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  13. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    It was so easy I nearly turned round to do it again! aloof-and-bored012_2.gif

aloof-and-bored012_2.gif

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    Great stuff.:upyeah:
    We are going to do it in stages, zig zagging, visiting people. Plus my mate has never been to the UK, so we will do the tourist thing, abit.

15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Drop into Wales on your way

16. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    love034_2.gif

love034_2.gif

17. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    You can get a decent (ish) iPhone mount on fleebay cheap as chips. Got mine for my van cost £2.50 and took about a week to get here I just had a cheeky bid on one of the bidded auctions. They do one that goes straight on to your bars too. For a couple of quid it might be worth a go to see if the iPhone suits you before buying an expensive waterproof one?

• Like Like x 1
  19. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Bry, unlike you my furry little friend, Jealousy is a massive thing....:upyeah:

20. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    weirdo.gif

weirdo.gif

• Like Like x 1