Sai Removal And Air Filter Swap

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bryan3R, Jan 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I want to remove the SAI from my 2012 R, I assume I need to uncheck SAI in TuneECU, save map and download it back into ECU, or do you just uncheck and save with no need to download it again?
    I have the Arrow low boy decat system with 20607 map installed by dealer when bike was new, would this have SAI or O2 already disabled?
    Want to also swap to a better air filter, if O2 sensor is still working would it correct any fueling errors with the higher air flow?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Did this when I had a SprintST about 8 years ago, so hope my memory serves, and should be just as relevant to the S3. Pretty sure only need to do the tick box, no need to re-save map (you can always check by exiting and then reconnect to see it's still unchecked). But equally important I believe you also have to physically block the pipe to the valve. I selected a marble of a suitable size that sealed the pipe between valve and airbox (make sure it's too big to get sucked into the airbox or valve!).
    Can't say for sure but would think O2 sensor will cope with filter change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    This guy does a 1050. Might be useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Thanks, I've already watched that one but he was uploading a custom map, I just want to change the map already installed.

Checked my installed map on my laptop , it had both O2 and SAI ticked, so I've un ticked SAI and saved it as a new file ready to upload.
    Just need to decide if I want to spend £40 on blanking plates or tap the SAI ones like in the video!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Just so you know, the ECU records how many times the map has been changed (and/or reloaded I assume). So any future owner or technician might be concerned if it showed a high number of changes.
    How you go about doing the physical blanking off might depend on how easily you want to revert to standard (eg when selling bike).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #6 Bryan3R, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Thanks, I was thinking of trying a plug in elimimator that comes in a kit with blanking plates for £43 from ebay.

I'm trying to get hold of a marble to block pipe off first to see how much it affects the popping on over run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    No worries, AFAIK the ECU doesn't record low level changes such as the SAI tick box, only full map uploads. In any case seeing say 6 map changes on an ECU I would consider normal/acceptable, if it went into double figures I would start to think there's been a problem or somebody's been messing about, perhaps not knowing what they're doing.
    So I'd go ahead disabling SAI via TuneECU, just using the tick box, and as you say just block the pipe perhaps as a temporary measure to assess the difference.
    I haven't disabled SAI on my S3 as the cat is still present with my twin high Arrows (so it still pops a little), but when I changed the SprintST for decat and TOR can it just left I slight (nice) burble on the overrun. The biggest benefit was it transformed the pickup from a closed throttle - SO much smoother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Hi mate.

I also have twin Arrows on my 08 Speed - anyway to check if cats are present? Worth doing this SAI removal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    can someone enlighten me as to what t'SAI valve is, what's it's function, and what t'benefits are to blocking it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Eyup lad it’s a system to inject air into the exhaust to clean up any unburnt fuel and it’s what gives the popping and banging on the overrun when downshifting. You don’t get any extra performance by disabling it, just less/no exhaust “backfires”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    It's an emissions thing then?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Cheers Yorkie. I'll not bi bothering then, as I love t'popping ont overrun, wit SC Project can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    I am thinking of removing the SAI on my 2011 EFI, not for the reason of popping but have been lead to believe my engine will run a bit cooler therefore reducing exhaust bluing, I have a friend who works in a Triumph main dealer who says its good to remove the SAI because the vacuum operated valve that feeds them air quite often leaks making the bike run very lean which is not good.

• Agree Agree x 1