Safety First

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Mark9, Aug 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I came across a bike accident yesterday, the air ambulance was in attendance, a witness said the biker was conscious and talking thankfully, the witness said the biker had ridden into the back of a queuing car at speed, it reminds us of just how vulnerable we are , anyway have a look at this guy’s videos, I’m not saying he’s 100% correct all the time but there are some good reminders in there.

2. Richard Goss

Richard Goss Senior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newbury
    Especially important at this time of year when the country roads are full of tractors and combine harvesters. These are huge these days and take up at least 3/4 of the road. I nearly got taken out in my car the other day on a twisty local road, but luckily I had slowed down in anticipation of meeting something and managed to brake and swerve into a drive, no way the tractor was going to stop in time.
    It was the same place I came across a tractor versus car accident on the bike a few weeks earlier. Again I had slowed down for the twists and just clocked a fleeting glimpse of some brake lights on a car a little way in front so slowed a bit more. As i came round the blind corner there was a stationary queue of traffic and I managed to stop safely.

3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I am not a fast rider. In fact I don't ride my 955 anywhere near the rev range it was built for...but it doesn't matter if you ride at 10mph or 100mph...you should always be able to stop within the distance you can see.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    In single track lanes you should be riding/driving at a speed where you can stop in HALF the distance you can see to be clear, especially at this time of year with all the large and unforgiving agricultural vehicles about. Just look at some of the tractors with fore end loaders and tines on the front. - Makes me shudder to think what could happen if you hit one of those.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A great reminder that blind bends are not your friend. I had a moment last week in the Yorkshire Dales on a blind very tight left hand bend where I met a car coming the other way. Did give me a scare and luckily I had slowed to a speed which allowed me to avoided said car. Be careful out there guys :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I had a moment a few weeks back, I entered a blind bend, immediately around that bend was a stationary car, he had stopped because a combine harvester was coming the other way taking up 3/4 of the road, luckily I had entered the bend slowly and managed to stop, only just though!