Sad Days

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, Nov 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Its November it cold and wet, and the T100 is tucked up in the garage with her battery on charge, all I can do is go and visit her in the garage every day and tuck her in under the duvet a bit more, there's not much more we can do now till about March so unfortunately I won't have any experiences to ask our brilliant forum members to come to my aid as they have done so brilliantly this year.
    There cannot be any members who use there bikes in the winter months.
    We cannot complain to much thinking of any members in South Yorkshire.
    mallywoods

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I would not be so sure on that one mate. There are a few mad members that ride all year round :cool:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I’m fortunate that I can still ride during winter as the temperatures here isn’t anywhere near as cold. It’s summer now and the only thing stopping me from riding is rain, which was the case on Sunday. So...admittedly I’ve also been in the garage staring whilst hoping for fair weather come Sunday. ;).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Mind DD it is easy to re tax the bike if you do get a run of reasonable riding days, it won't break the bank mate..

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Well I to have tucked up my triumphs for the winter. But the Honda has come out of hibernation and is back in use.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Its just far to cold, and if wet think of all that cleaning.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I ride through the winter. I keep my bikes taxed and then if the weather allows I get out there..

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #8 MadMrB, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    #MeToo I keep going to the garage just for a look...and I think the covers will go on this weekend, as according to the papers the weather is going to get even more crappier than it is already :(

IMG_20191110_102938349.jpg

On a brighter note, a purchase made when pissed on Friday night turned out to be ok, well apart from making me look like a Power Ranger :p

IMG_20191112_161936_950.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I don't mind the cold so much, but the hasstle of cleaning them after a ride with short days and relentless rain...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    MadMrB
    Nice stable you have there.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    This is a very subjective issue, I think.
    I am now fortunate enough to be able to afford the luxury of my Bonneville, and further, ride it when I'm not likely to get wet, or frozen!
    A lot of other folk are not able to enjoy these options and are compelled to ride year long, come what may.
    When I started riding at 16 on my FS1E, I too had no choice and rode throughout the year, this continued through 2 RD 250's, 2 RD 400's and an SR500 which took me upto age 25.
    Being frozen to the core and soaked through was an all too familiar feeling
    Marraige and family came along and powered transport of any kind was simply out of reach, for several years.
    Now things are different, as stated.
    I'm not a wealthy bloke and cut my cloth carefully, but love the luxury of my 2015 Bonneville, luckily, so does the wife!
    It too is out of harms way until the spring!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Curly
    Nothing wrong with that. And if I could drive I would be doing the same.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You could go to the Dragon rally in February like me on one of these :p 0B8F6375-E830-4E85-A4EA-2D7689126A23.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Same here.
    I definitely don’t have to but I do because I enjoy riding as I’ve done ever since I was 16.
    OK maybe not on the Tiger this winter, I’ll just get my old Honda out for a change :)

There’s some nice riding weather to be had over wintertime and with empty roads and with the appropriate riding gear on it’s great :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    You could send your Bonneville in an air cargo container to New Zealand to pick it up at Invercargill Airport. There are freight forwarders doing such a thing properly. You just have to follow your motorcycle and pick it up there. The temperatures are there in December at 24°C and it's a nice place for bikers!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I ride all year round lid on switch off feck everything else but not on a shiny one but the winter bike which will still get a jet wash just not the pampering 19A25078-A003-46E5-B9DF-78B29A60BBF3.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Stop yer whinging it aint even cold yet:mad:
    one morning with frost on the car screens and it was extra 15 mins to work this morning, trains cancelled, buses late what a feck up and this in the warmest part of the UK.
    God help us when we get snow!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    I am 61 and Italian (used to warm climate) and yet ride all year round in horrible weather (West coast of Ireland where I live, ten times more rainy/windy than England). I am not trying to say that I am brave and the vast majority who put their bike in the garage for months are wimps, I am just trying to understand where is the problem (maybe because I have no choice/comparison since there is no summer here). I have heated grips, windshield, handguards plus appropriate clothing and honestly I never feel cold or uncomfortable when on the bike whatever the weather. An example from a few days ago here

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    Ah I slow down cleaning intervals in winter myself, there's no point. Again a good application of ACF-50 solves the problem with bike wear and corrosion etc. throughout the winter months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I ride all year when I want, I have a car for work and shitty weather. If they salt the roads the bikes stay in the garage.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1