S4 Fork Stem Cover Nut.. Can It Be Removed

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by welly, Sep 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    Hey all,

So I got my RAM tank fuel mount which fits and is fine, although possibly a bit too close to me when I'm riding. It'll do if there's no other option.

I'd prefer a fork stem mount but was looking at the stem and it looks like this

2005-Triumph-Speed-Four-Cockpit.jpg

The nut that covers the fork stem, is it just there to keep crap out of the fork stem or does it play a more important role of keeping the fork in place? If I was to remove this and stick a RAM fork stem mount in the stem, I wouldn't be in danger of losing the front end of my bike somewhere down the road?

Cheers!

2. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    Ps. The S4 is bad ass. I love it. Of course, I have nothing to compare it with other than two previous 125s however it is still bad ass and is far more capable than I'll ever be!

3. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Hi, I suspect that the nut in question, referred to as "the dome nut, or top yoke centre nut" in the Triumph TT600/Speed Four workshop manual, does more than just keep crap out, the rebuild forks page, shows it quite clearly, and states it needs to be torqued up to 90nm, that's a lot of torque.

• Like Like x 1
  4. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll leave it well alone then. I'll stick with the tank mount bracket for the time being!

• Like Like x 1