Featured S3 Rs Naked Goes Super Naked

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Gilbert, Jun 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    #1 Alan Gilbert, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Don't get too excited folks - I've just ripped the plastic off my new RS in order to take it for gloss clearcoating. I wanted the black over the white bike but preferred the practicality of a gloss finish.
    Removing all the various pieces of trim without reference to a manual didn't prove too challenging, not least because I have a 1050 Tiger and so was already familiar with tank connectors.
    So . . I'm waiting on two more quotes for the clearcoat but I suspect it's going to be around £500. While the parts are away being sprayed, I will be doing one or two small jobs
    1. Fitting Evotech radiator and oil cooler guard. The latter is going to require a little fettling because it bolts on in the centre but doesn't do so square and so the guard is banged up against the cooler on one side but clear of it by a quite a margin on the other side. The plan is to make up a couple of "wedge-shaped" carbon fibre washers to place behind the mounting bolts so that when tight, the guard will sit straight
    2. Fit Evotech tail-tidy. I purchased a secondhand tail unit off ebay for £50 which included indicators and OEM wiring look. I will fit all this to the tail-tidy and modify the loom so that it will plug straight onto the bike without having a birds nest of wires in the underseat area and of course, if I ever need to revert back, my OEM fender will go straight back on as per factory.
    3. I have an optimate but not too happy with the various "dangle" options for it and so going to order some 16AWG wire and extend the cable, route it under the tank and seat and up under the pillion cover so that it's convenient and neat to access.
    Whilst the flyscreen is off, I think I might investigate the options for a visor but I suspect this will prove more cosmetic than anything else - the OEM Triumph unit is really tiny.
    Main apprehension is going to be the quality of the clearcoat finish . . . fingers crossed I've done the right thing

IMG_1897.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Good luck and a decent fun job!
    Optimate do extension leads for the relocation of the charging dongle.
    I got one and extended the lead to the rear passenger seat. Probably safer!!!
    https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o3-extension

There are quite a few options here too:
    https://www.optimate.co.uk/?offset=50

3. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    I moved my charging dongle (after changing the cable) to under the rear seat. Pop the seat, charge the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thanks for that. For a moment I got rather excited but then found out the only extension lead available with the TM connectors is 2.5m which would give me 1.5m more than I need. Also, the connector would join halfway along the airbox and would be a little bulky and there might be clearance issues under the tank and so I'm going to go with my original idea. It should be OK because I've got bullet connectors and a proper crimping tool plus plenty of heat shrink - means I can tailor the cable length exactly.
    I've been researching luggage options - soft/hard panniers/racks/top boxes etc. . . . . It's not too important because the Tiger will be my main ride for touring but I want to be able to carry a modest amount of stuff easily but without needing a rucksack which I find tiring.
    I wanted a rack which could be easily removed when not required so that the bike doesn't have to wear the thing permanently. I couldn't find anything suitable and also, some of the available options from SW-Motech for example, require the plastic to be drilled through and I'm not wanting ANY mods to the bike.
    In the end I have settled on a Sportrack from Hepco & Becker and will fit the enlargement plate to it. I like this idea because there are not mods to the bike at all, simply whip off the pillion seat, replace it with the rack and strap a drybag or holdall to it and then remove when done and dusted. It's not entirely necessary as a drybag could sit straight on the pillion seat but I suspect this will cause straps to chafe with the paintwork on the side panels etc and won't prove as stable. I think this should work well . . . . .
    Spent a good hour last night trying to fathom out how on earth to dismantle the flyscreen from the soft rubber intake which comes away with it when removed from the bike - I got there in the end and without any damage.
    Looking forward to getting this finished . . . .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    I have these fitted to the rear passenger seat for mu us20 or us30 backpack.
    Doesn't rub at all and I just keep them on the passenger seat all of the time.
    I very rarely use it anyway and the single seat is on all of the time (when not touring)

https://kriega.com/sports/touring/speedtriple

Of course, it means getting a kriega bag though.
    I have the swmotch arms and rack for the givi v56 topbox. I have put in 12mm rubber bungs in the 2 drilled holes after I take them off.

6. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thanks for that. I have bought a Kriega 30 drybag and also ordered those straps you linked to but I was doubtful about the stability of it and in particular, if I wanted to carry a little more. Perhaps I should just fit the straps and load up the Kriega and see what it's like before opting for the Sportrack but the appeal of the latter is that it affords a stable flat base and I suspect the Kriega needs packing almost full in order to maintain its shape and so a stable platform might solve this. Will have to see how it pans out.
    Meanwhile, I bought an R&G Paddock stand as the one I use for my S1000 won't work with a single-sided swing arm. Literally just posted a quick review on Youtube. R&G is OK but some possible gotchas with it . . .

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I too had that thought (about the us30) and i bought small rok straps (for other bags).
    I loop them around the kriega loops and all good.
    Good review of the stand by the way!
    I had a constands single sided one from the xdiavel so i just purchased a triumph pin and swapped it out.

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1101.JPEG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    I fitted the Triumph aux socket & theis allows you to charge you battery as well. Just need to buy the hella style plug. Shout if you want further info. :)

9. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    that’s interesting - I have one fitted to my Tiger 1050 and as you say, it can be used for charging, however, this is no longer listed as an accessory for the S3 RS and so I assumed the connector has been omitted from the loom. If this is an option on the RS, then I would probably go for the DIN plug instead! I will double check and perhaps have a snout at the bike for a connector on the loom - is your bike an RS 2018 onwards?

10. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    Mine is a 2017 I’m sure I saw it listed the other day. Let me have a look

11. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    well I can’t see it listed for the RS however the Triumph instructions don’t list it for mine either & it’s fitted & working well :p

1C3F52ED-5238-4C56-8F88-A6ED32B01914.png

12. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    This is great!
    Where did you install this on the bike please?

13. Joe99

Joe99 Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Oxford-ish
    well I can’t see it listed for the RS however the Triumph instructions don’t list it for mine either & it’s fitted & working well :p
    I’ll grab you a pic when I pop to the garage. For now it sits just behind the side cowl (red section)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Mark34

Mark34 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    London
    I'd be interested to learn how your clear coat turns out. I'd given it some consideration previously but it's likely too late now as there are already a few marks on my matt finish due to fitting luggage and general use.

15. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    Spot on with the Kriega US-30 and US-20, used with the frame loops - the pillion seat isn't flat enough, so the bags need to be stuffed, then straps pulled really tight otherwise it wobbles. Can use a pillion grabrail for extra stability, but I'd like to know how you get on with the Hepco & Becker Sportrack setup, and if it's strong enough to take a top box.

Accessory charger socket is worth every penny, easy to charge the bike and connect heated gear. Should be easier to find while the tank is off.

16. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hi Everyone - just a quick update.
    After pulling the various panels off the bike, I thought I would email an enquiry to a couple more paintshops as Dream Machine aren't back at work until 1st July and besides, I thought it sensible to get some additional quotes. I contacted two places that were recommended to me by the Triumph dealership but after a week or so, heard back from one yesterday. They want £575 +VAT + Postage just to apply the clear coat!!:eek:
    Me thinks they're extracting the urine and so I will put that crew on the back burner for now.
    The second place hadn't responded and so I called them up and spoke to the boss man who was very helpful but confirmed they're busy until well into next year but then when he realised what a simple job it was, he agreed they could fit me in around existing work . . . they mainly do creative artwork for helmets and tanks and so a simple clearcoat job wasn't going to take too long.
    I've emailed pictures of all the parts and am waiting for a quote. . . . beginning to think I should have just bought a white bike T.BH - The existing decals will get lacquered over but I will need two new Triumph badges for the tank at £35.00 each - ouch!!!!
    Most of the dismantling was straight forward. The fly screen took a little bit of sussing out but everything else was simple enough. I removed all trim, captive nuts, grommets etc and then from the tank itself, the tank cap and after much deliberation, the fuel pump too. This came out without issue but then I was faced with one of those awkward connectors attaching the pump to the sender in the tank and with one hand holding the pump and only one free. Anyway - soon sussed the security tab, disconnected it and the pump is now safely stored in a freezer bag to keep it clean until I reinstall it. I deliberated about removing the pump but I'm glad I did because the outlet probe on the bottom is otherwise very vulnerable to damage and a new pump is over £300. The other advantage is having removed the pump, I was much better able to completely drain the tank and remove all vestiges of fuel so that now, the thing doesn't even smell of petrol and of minimal fire risk.
    The seat hump incorporates a bum stop which is held in place with double-sided tape. It is particularly thin and I hunted high and low for the correct stuff which I believe is 3m VHB 0.64mm double-sided foam. I have ordered a small pad of this for a couple of quid so that I can stick the bum stop back in place - funnily enough, after removing it, the surface of the existing pads isn't even sticky to the touch.
    The 2018+ Speed Triple RS no longer incorporates the wiring to install an accessory socket but I've decided to order one anyway and then wire it up myself because its location on the side of the bike will be potentially more convenient than under the seat hump. I have ordered a blade fuse holder, some ring connectors and I have all the wiring I need plus heat shrink and so I will post some pics when I've made it up and then installed it.
    Hopefully I will hear back in a day or two and be able to take all this stuff to get it lacquered up.

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    £575 plus vat sounds a bit rich for a clear coat

18. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    @Tigcraft

19. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    For sure. I was originally quoted circa £450 but no mention of the dreaded VAT etc so will have to see how much the others come in at. Now it's in bits, I really want to get this done and get it all back together again!!

20. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes it does sound expensive but it’s not just applying lacquer. There’s a lot of complications painting over a ‘hardened and sealed’ previous finish that can end up with sanding marks in and plenty of contamination which you wouldn’t get if you applied the colours from scratch and did your own artwork so people will be pricing on the safe side in case things go wrong. Not a job I’d want.

• Like Like x 2