S3 2008 Won't Start

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by wilkie, Apr 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Hi, would a fuel level sensor circuit malfunction cause my bike not to start?
    She's been laid up a while, hence, not been on here for ages.
    Any help appreciated

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    20200409_172211.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I doubt it!
    Have you had the tank off to do a throttle balance, this error will be left from that (unless you have a patch cable for the level sensor as well as the pump). So I would clear the error code and see if it returns, also are you getting a fuel level reading now.
    I lay up our bikes (Speed & Street Ttiples) every winter for about 5 months and they always start no problem, I guess if your lay-up is significantly longer it could just be bad fuel, try draining off and use fresh fuel, also check your battery is in good shape, if voltage drops too low then ECU will prevent it starting (think that is to protect damage to sprag clutch). I'm assuming everthing was running fine before you layed up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Thanks for the replies, it's a new battery, but the fuel is oldish, I'll try that next

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
  7. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    I don't know if you got the bike started but the first thing I would be checking is if the fuel system is priming when you turn ignition on . It should be audible for a second or two .Also low cranking volts can cause the ecu to not work properly , on a car anything under around 9-10v the ecu will not mobilise the system so potentially the same with a motorcycle. No good jumping off another battery either , you need to physically put a new battery in place . Hopefully that might be of some help :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Thanks Paul, I've siphoned off the old fuel and put in fresh, but, since I messed about with the tunecu I'm not hearing the fuel pump prime, reckon it might be the relay.
    It's a new battery so plenty of cranking power, any ideas anyone?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Would it be possible to swap relays, say headlight relay, to see if that would work??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    I'm not sure , but if they are the same relay then I don't see why not. The kill switch sends the power to the ecu so any break or bad connection in that circuit will stop the bike starting although if it's cranking then it sort of points that the kill switch is working ok . Try turning kill switch off and see if the bike still cranks , if it doesn't the switch is fine .I think there is a fuel pump fuse as well so maybe check the fuses . Worth checking to see if you are you getting 12v to the pump . I'm sure I've still got my old manual for the S3 so I'll have a look at the wiring diagram and see if I can spot anything else . Also you can plug the unit into a diagnostic scanner at any car garage using eobd and that would give you fault codes and data to potentially find the problem . Don't know where you are located as I would have had a look at it if you were near me

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Plugged Tunecu in again, it showed a P1552 fan circuit open , don't know where that came from.
    I tested all the bits you can with it and it all seemed ok. Then I checked #1 fuse 5a and it was blown, but, strangely according to my handbook this fuse does instruments as well as fuel pump relay, instruments were all ok?
    I swapped the other 5a fuse over ( number plate light ) and it blew that too. I've just found my Haynes manual and am busy reading up, any ideas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    What I don't get is these random error codes?
    And why all of a sudden it's blowing fuses?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Yes mate it does, Triumph S4

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    AAAAAAAGH!
    Told you, Alarms - they're the Devils work. :rolleyes::joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Mice?

180px-Hippety_Hopper.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    Yes it was on an optimate and not in sleep mode

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    Try disconnecting the fuel pump wiring plug and see if the fuse still blows , you may have a short or high resistance in the pump

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wilkie

wilkie Member

May 16, 2012
    I'm not really up on this, but, would a duff relay blow the fuse?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Unplug everything (one at a time) and check for corrosion and clean if found

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1