Rust On Threads Of Bolts.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Notso, Apr 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #1 Notso, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    When I fitted a centre stand and pannier rack to my Street Twin I noticed the threads for the bolts were rusting. Not a major concern, but couldn't help feeling a little disappointed given it's a four month old bike. I have been very diligent with washing and applying ACF50 etc. but this corrosion is not in a place the ACF50 can get to. So far I just replaced the bolts with blue Locktite as I figured ACF50 on the threads would allow them to loosen over time.

I don't like knowing the is rust on the frame without doing something about it, but don't know what can be done. I'd love to go around all of the bolts on the frame, remove treat and re-fit. I have most torque settings from the Haynes manual. Any advice on corrosion inhibitors that will not risk bolts from loosening, ie something that does both jobs or can work with blue Locktite?

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Firstly it is 99.9% a cosmetic issue. Secondly salt spray from winter riding will make anything corrode. If it’s bugging you then a light film of oil or chain wax will provide a protective coat but need periodic re-application.
    If you google fastener strength you will see why Stainless is pretty but mostly unfit for structural applications where strength is required. I tend to spring clean once the salting is finished and start to re-protect in the autumn.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Thanks, what bothers me are the threads inside, so not visible until you remove the bolt. In my minds eye it will eventually seize or spread. I am just wondering if there is a good way to inhibit the rust now rather than wait for it to become a problem later.

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You are scaring yourself over nothing! Do NOT lose any sleep.......

A little galvanic corrosion with different electrical potential is one of the Laws of Nature. Fasteners are remarkably durable and can be replaced as necessary. About the only ones to stay on top of are exhaust manifold bolts where exposure and heat cycles speed their passing - so replace before they are too hard to extract without major surgery.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2