Rust On Chrome.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tom Gillam, Jan 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

I’m trying to get rid of some rust on my rims vicar.
    Has anyone got any tips,and yes I’ve got autosolve and it works to a degree,however there’s some more stubborn rust that needs shifting.
    I’ve noticed there are some chrome sticks out there,are any of them any good or can anyone recommend a fix please?
    Thanks in advance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Cheers DD,
    Looking forward to my weekend already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Goss

Richard Goss Senior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newbury
    Fine wire wool and WD40 has worked for me in the past.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Richard Goss

Richard Goss Senior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newbury
    I used to use autosol on chrome all the time years ago but have shied away from it in recent years as heard it was a bit too abrasive for a routine chrome cleaner and will wear away the plating over time. Not sure how true this is though.

Luckily my Street Cup doesn't have much chrome to worry about :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Ok thanks for the info.The foil sort of works,but I’m not entirely convinced that it’s the answer and I think you would need quite a bit of it as it holes quickly.
    I think I’d prefer black rims as they’re less hassle to clean,if there’s anyone out there with a couple of spare wheels,I’d be interested.

6. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

I’ll try and take one tomorrow,weather permitting,but it’s relatively minor corrosion mainly in the inner crease of the rim,if that makes sense?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks for the suggestion,but it’s the abrasive nature of the rust that’s holing the folded foil,it’s not quite the same as that video,try it yourself on something and let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

You sound like my wife, apart from the invaluable bit.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

As promised the photos,which aren’t that great.
    Has anyone out there tried one of those chrome repair pencils,I’m more interested in titivating than a long term solution,which would probably be a strip,powder coat and rebuild?

38C13D98-C6A4-49AB-BE6D-C91BF651A92A.jpeg

13EB53AD-3E58-4A2A-88DC-8A1237248BB1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Boston UK
    I was told never to use Autosol on chrome, I have used a scotchbrite pad soaked in ACF50 with some success on cleaning rust of spokes and rims.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Used Muc-Off and scrunched up foil on my T120 front wheel this afternoon; did a good job, but inside the wheel there is some major corrosion where its gone through the rather thin/shit chrome they seem to be using?

Solvol is good for polishing but ain't too god for cleaning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    If you are only interested in titiating, then Rub N Buff silver leaf might work to cover/disguise the blemishes, and as its a wax it would also protect. I have no experience of using it, and I don't know how well it would work, but I thought it might be worth suggesting. I saw a video of Craig Jones (see below, start at 12:40) using it on hard to reach places on front forks.

Rub N Buff on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00081G2HG

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks MMB,I’ve just ordered some,if anyone’s remotely interested I’ll let you know.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I think that is one of those Old Wives’ Tales that got out of hand - the stuff is MADE for Chrome!! The only thing is that it might be a tad too abrasive for purists with immaculate chrome that would then acquire minute scratches. For tatty rims it is perfect but you will use a fair bit.

I have used Autosol and scrunched aluminium foil to useful effect but you cannot replace lost chrome once it has rusted through. You must keep on top of it spreading and, once cleaned as best you can, oil or wax based finishes are essential. If you want to frighten yourself try removing tube and tyre and see what lurks within!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Yup did that yesterday and was surprised at the corrosion on the inside around nipples and bead area on a 3 &1/2 yr old bike!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I did a bit of work on my 71 cb250 mudguards yesterday.
    Here is a before and after picture.
    CB250RearMudguard 001.jpg CB250RearMudguard 015.jpg

I just used ali foil and water.
    I haven't finished yet but I don't expect to get all the pitting out, they are quite bad.
    I'll probably end up buying a new front but making do with the rear as not much of it
    will actually be visible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I use steel wool will try with wd40 now that has been poster have a bit on the spokes thanks for that information

18. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    Should add lucky it doesn't rain much in South Australia they don't like getting wet Must be a problem in England

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mark C Farthing

Mark C Farthing New Member

Jan 30, 2022
    Athens, Alabama
    You only used foil and water? Does it matter which side of the foil?

20. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Both sides are essentially the same, I just use it scrunched up. I believe it's just a soft (compared to chrome) scrubber so doesn't scratch it, but it's harder than cleaning rags you may use for bike and so requires less effort to rub off the rust.

I must admit I usually just rub wheels hard with the microfibre cloth I have handy when I'm cleaning, rather than fetching some aluminium foil.