Running Red Lights

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thruccyboy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Good evening all....I know it`s been a while but Iv`e been busy decorating / rebuilding/ dunno what I`ve been doing.........
    Anyway. Is it me or are more and more car/van drivers running red lights????
    Ive sat at red lights and had people just ignore them, Ive sat at red lights and when they go green there are still cars/vans coming from my right, clearly just gone through a red light themselves....What the hell is going on and when is something gonna be done about it......?????

Over to you

2. JayScram

JayScram Member

Apr 24, 2019
    Warrington
    Probably sweet FA, til they camera up every light. I like to hammer it when in the cage and see if I can catch them up and horns away. Momentary entertainment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Temporary lights at roadworks are the worst. Found myself gesturing at people that have clearly run red trying to sneak through, not that they will care. Not sure why it boils my pi55, think it's the 'me first' thing that does it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Red light cameras are the only way to fix it, but for once I`m all in favour of them. A couple of weeks ago I was on my way back from Whitby travelling down the M11... There was a 6 mile queue between jcn 9 and 8.... A smart car (Well, not that smart) was reversing back down the hard shoulder clearly going to take the exit of jcn 9 once he got there about 2 miles away....As if that wasnt enough to make your pi55 boil at least 2 cars were driving along the hard shoulder as the traffic started to move a bit cutting in when possible....unreal behaviour.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    I'll admit I'm a bit of an amber gambler but red is a no no.

The temporary traffic lights drive everyone mad when the sensor (is there even one!?) isn't picking up that no one is waiting and you sit that like a wally for ages just staring at the tarmac!

Surprised you didn't mention cyclists, they are getting a bad rap for ignoring red lights at the moment.

The undercutting on dual carriage ways don't get me started on that. Some muppet up your arse when you're in a row of traffic on the fast lane boils my blood. I slow a bit and point back to get away if I get really annoyed!

6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, and here I thought this was just a huge problem in the U.S. I live in southern Arizona and red light runners have become commonplace. In fact, you can watch the drivers who clearly have a green light hesitate and creep into the intersection anymore for fear that someone will come blowing through a clearly red light. When I'm riding on a roadway with more than one lane in my direction, I never enter the intersection first if I can at all help it. Seeing a light turn yellow seems to be a challenge to speed up and gun it through the intersection rather than a warning to slow down and prepare to stop for the red light.

Even intersections with stop signs have become a problem. Last fall I was hit in my car twice at the same four-way stop (one block from my house!). Both were the other driver's fault--not just my opinion but that of one of the other drivers, witnesses, and my insurance company. I had my car back for two weeks after repairs from the first accident when I was hit the second time. Oh, and that intersection is right by an elementary school. It feels like Mad Max out there. :(

I don't know about the UK but it seems that cell phone usage in the U.S. has made the roads far more dangerous with distracted drivers everywhere. Arizona recently made cell phone use while driving (other than hands-free) illegal but the law doesn't go into effect until Jan. 2020. Not sure what that's about. Cell phone use has been illegal in my city for nearly a year now but there are still lots and lots of drivers who you see driving down the road looking down at their phones. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Cell phones have been banned for a while in the UK and fines have more recently been increased. The law is very tight and you could even find yourself in trouble if you were using hands free and involved in an accident. Most companies have policies not to have conversations on hands free. Despite all of this, you wouldn't need to wait by a road for more than a few minutes to see people using handheld phones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Not sure about the US of A, but over here the problem of such poor driving is a direct result of police funding cuts. Traffic enforcement vehicles are getting rarer and rarer on our roads. Exception being the unmarked vehicles on our motorways still collecting sneaky speeding fines.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I was nearly knocked off my bike the other day by a red runner. Nearly sh8t myself.

The mobile phone issue (use has been banned in cars for ages) on bicycles has been adressed here very recently.
    They cycle along wearing headphones, oblivious of their surroundings, lookin down at their screens.
    As of last Monday it is punishable - the fine is € 95 - but enforcing could be a slight problem, as plod is understaffed as it is...

10. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    There is also.the factor of " monkey see, monkey do " involved with jumping red lights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I find people are more interested in their mobiles or sat navs more than road safety whilst driving these days. Yesterday i saw one of the 125cc brigade take out his mobile, lift his lid whilst still riding at 45mph. I could tell he was a prat due to what he was wearing. Shorts, trainers and a singlet. Wouldnt like to be him sliding down the tarmac.
    Also, everyone seems to be in a rush and only concentrating on getting to their destination like a blinkered horse. Hence red light jumpers. Funnily you always catch up with them at the next traffic queue.

Just slow down. Your life and others that may be involved in a road accident are worth a hell of a lot more than getting to your destination a bit late. Just ask your sons and daughters if they want you home at night.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That's a definite problem in the city where I live, too. In fact, I called 911 for get the police to come the first time I was hit last fall. The person who answered asked me two questions. 1. Is anyone hurt badly enough that you need an ambulance? 2. Are any vehicles blocking the roadway? When I answered no to both, she said the other driver and I should share information and contact our insurance companies. They would not be sending the police. The second time I was hit I was rear-ended (pretty slow speed) and didn't even call. Interestingly, there was an article in our local paper recently that cited "stats" indicating that the number of traffic accident fatalities is up here but the total number of accidents is down. Hmmm, if the police aren't going to the scene and there's no police report, perhaps the total number of accidents is NOT down??!! :p

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Here in my part of the world [S. California U.S.] they not only run the red lights but they will see you coming at a stop sign and blow through to beat you through the intersection. A lot of cities here are getting rid of the red light camara because it only makes the problem worse. They are trying to beat the light before the camera ! What a world !. ...J.D.

• WTF WTF x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    IMO driving standards have dropped significantly over the past few years. Whilst there are many reasons for this I think one is social media that has a lot to do with it. People are more and more desensitized to to bad behaviour and this spills over into their driving..... People on foot rarely push you out the way or barge in front of you, but when they get in their car it becomes normal behaviour.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Problem is these are the arseholes who always hurt other people and get away with just a scratch

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Really have to bring your "A game" when you are out riding these days.! ...J.D.

17. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    When they ask the 2 ? Just say I thought I smelled alcohol. Or lie about something hurting at last resort as they will want YOU to pay for a responder.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Someone told me they have told the 911 call responder that they "thought they smelled something burning and were worried the car was going to start on fire". The "thought I smelled alcohol" is a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d always insist on the police attending any sort of collision and would tell them I’ve been injured to get them to come out.
    This is because I had a guy knock me off my bike years ago and despite exchanging details it turned out he was uninsured and the car hadn’t been registered to him when he’d bought it.
    When I’d phoned the police, they told me to just go to the station to report the incident but when I got there they couldn’t trace the car or owner so I was left with no one to claim from :mad:

• WTF WTF x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nothing gets me as mad as uninsured drivers, they just don't give a toss who they hurt or how much their behaviour can impact on those who follow the rules......

• Agree Agree x 5