Rta Today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jim Lane, Jul 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Lane

Jim Lane Member

May 12, 2021
    Suffolk
    Evening all - so not sure where to post this so I'll just stick it in the Lounge Forum for the time being - someone will move it if necessary I'm sure.

So half 11 this morning and I realised I'd not bought any bacon for my Saturday bacon buttie so I hop on the V-Max to nip to Sainsburys like you do. End of my road, turn left, over the brow of the hill and I arrive at what can only be described as mayhem.

People in the road, on phones, shouting, people with hands on heads people waving at cars to slow them down etc. etc.
    So I filter past the queue of 10 or so cars, park up the Max and start to pick up the bits.

Basically a guy in a Skoda got a bit impatient and went for a half arsed overtake of a Land Rover Discovery and a motorhome on a set of twisties, not realising an XJR1300 was coming the other way. As I understand it the XJR somehow managed to avoid the head on (thank god) but the Skoda clipped his leg and spat him off into a field beside the road.

So I've arrived literally 30 seconds later and its pandemonium obviously.

So what did I do ?
    Checked the bike, turned off the ignition and hit the kill switch, scanned and smelt for petrol - no sign so no ruptured fuel tank.
    Next asked if there was anyone who knew first aid - there wasn't so went to check on the biker - he was screaming and writhing in pain so clearly in a way - knelt beside him, grabbed his hand and started talking to him. Calmly and quietly.
    What's your name.
    Where does it hurt
    And you know what - the whole scene just got very calm right there - 3 people on the phone to the ambulance, they wanted his name so I asked and then gave it to them.
    Kept the guy talking, who was he ? Where was he going ? No, don't look at it - other than the leg where does it hurt ?
    Did you black out ?
    Who took your helmet off etc.

By now a binman had taken control of the road and was directing traffic around the scene, a lady had brought towels to cover his leg to stop the flies (big horse flies in this neck of the woods) getting to the open wound, and another girl and her boyfriend brought some hoodies to rest his head on - he'd taken his helmet off so I handed it to another girl and told her to put it under his knee to take the weight of his leg which (once he'd stopped screeching) actually helped him immensely.
    Basically his leg was a 'Z' shape from the knee down - bone sticking out and blood everywhere - so his lid took the weight of his leg and he calmed almost immediately as a result. Amazing what seeing bone outside the body and significant blood does to people - sheer panic in some cases.

Anyway, he was calm enough to ask me to get his phone so he could call his wife which I did (3 attempts to unlock - I'm such a spanner with those things) and he then had a very garbled conversation with her before handing me the phone - so I spoke to her as well, told her he was fine, that his leg was a bit of a mess and that I'll get someone to call her once they knew which hospital he was heading to. He'd not let go of my hand at all at this point btw - he just kept clinging on to it so I knew he was close to going into shock. His missus was a little hysterical at first but after talking to me she seemed to find that inner strength that women seem to have and she calmed to understand what I was saying and then we rung off.

Air ambulance came, paramedics turned up and I have to say, those guys were top drawer, very calm, very collected and they took total control of the situation and unlike me only made him squeal once !
    Rozzers finally turned up as well and to be honest, they must have been going some lick because they were hyper on adrenaline - I may even have had a calming word there as well you know ;)

Road closed, statements etc etc.

So not looking for any plaudits just wanted to put this out there to say
    1) ride safe, this guy had done nothing wrong and just got taken out, wrong place, wrong time - keep aware of your road ahead and always expect the unexpected !
    2) drive safe - the skoda driver was a biker - he was absolutely distraught and it took all his mate and I could do to keep him calm as well - he took full responsibility, he went to straight to the guy with his first aid kit - he fucked up, he knew it and the ramifications of that had hit home. So take it easy in the car as well then guys huh ? Them big bits of steel are very unforgiving.
    3) Turns out I was the oldest (at 48 ffs!) on scene, drivers, coppers, paramedics - the lot (!) but I would like to think my calm tones, no shouting, just calm clear instructions helped the situation so yes, even if the world is ending around you and you're arse is on fire, keep calm, keep rational and you'll find people will respond to that.
    And 4) - I've been thinking about this all afternoon, as soon as that guy saw a helmet and a friendly pair of eyes his hand instantly reached for mine, and I didn't even hesitate to take it - so don't ever be afraid to go and kneel in the dirt next to an injured biker, hold him / her by the hand and tell them its ok - it may not be ok but that 2 wheeled link, that may be the thing that stops them going into shock and making a bad situation worse.

He's now in hospital, he was alive and well when he left us, he may lose the bottom half of his right leg but he's still with us to tell the tale.

So yeah, just putting it down here because I live alone, not got many friends as I'm not really a people guy but just wanted to make sure that everyone on 2 wheels knows, when the skoda wipes you out, I'll be certain to stop to try and help any way I can - even if its just to hold your hand in the ditch. Hopefully someone will hold mine one day once V-Max has had enough of me riding it like a dick...

Shit Saturday afternoon but there we are.

Peace & Love

• Like Like x 18
    • Love You Love You x 5
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jim Lane
    I take my hat of to you sir. And you deserve all the applause I can muster. Yes it seems to me if you did not happen to be there then it could have been much worse for a brother. Well done. And you know bikers have it when I was knocked of in Maidenhead the first chap to come across was another biker and you are dead right you see another helmet and it calms you down a little. Well done and god bless you. But I got to ask did you get your bacon butte.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Well done mate. People just panic when they are involved in situations like these and end up screaming and shouting. It could have been a lot worse for both the rider and the ŠKODA driver but both will mend to a degree. Most paramedics don’t go to many trauma RTC’s so they can end up a bit traumatised by it too. A lot more police officers deal with them but they can be a bit officious (believe me I know as I’ve had to put a few straight in my time). Hopefully you will get a call from the rider to say thanks but if you don’t you know you’ve done a fantastic job - most people would have carried on and not stopped. You must be in this pic somewhere then….
    CEF81162-6933-47C4-A5DA-C4502FD20E79.jpeg
    By the way did you get your bacon?

• Like Like x 5
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Fourbears
    Far to true aswel. I know all to well. But when i was hit a few years ago by a taxi driver doing a sudden u turn in traffic the Police driver coming the other way was exceptional and told the driver to shut up while he tended to me and my bike. Then calmly returned to the driver and said mate i just watched this happen so no stories.
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice one mate…. I hope the injured guy gets in touch to say thanks, you deserve at least that ❤️

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jim Lane

Jim Lane Member

May 12, 2021
    Suffolk
    Fourbears the detective

Front left of the chopper - 100m - kneeling in the field.

6B6E332F-F655-483E-B43E-AE0BA1E8AEBE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim Lane

Jim Lane Member

May 12, 2021
    Suffolk
    And yes, bacon buttie at 3pm never tasted so good

• Like Like x 2
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Well done Jim lad !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Well done that man, controlled the situation and hung on in there, would expect nowt else from a Vmax guy. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #10 Sandi T, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Wow, Jim, what an experience and ordeal. Thank goodness for the injured rider--and others too--that you were there. I can only hope that someone as calm, collected, and kind as you is nearby to stop and assist if I or any of my loved ones are in a similar situation. Thank you for sharing your story and for the excellent reminders to us about riding and driving safely, staying calm under duress, and reaching out to others who are hurting or in need of encouragement. I certainly hope the rider you stopped to help does ok and I'm sure he will be better off than he might have been thanks to your assistance. In my book, Jim, you are a hero. :heart:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Top marks Jim! The biker and his family will be very grateful that such a caring human being was around. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    I’ve had the misfortune of being the first or one of the first at the scene of too many accidents and medical incidents. It’s horrible. My last one was just over one week ago. A small Citroen with two girls turned in front of a lady in a Golf going 60 the other way. It was almost a head-on. Fortunately modern car design has improved so much which meant nobody was killed. The lady was saved from severe injury due to the Golf’s design, it’s airbag and seatbelt. The girls were injured, one badly as their car took quite a hammering.

What was good was that they were all making a noise. If your casualties are screaming, crying or moaning that’s good. It’s the silent ones who need care first. If they are not breathing or don’t have a pulse do whatever you have to do to get them going. Ignore the bellends who say “you mustn’t touch them” as dying just for the want of having your mouth cleaned out or your neck straightened is a silly way to go.

I have had to attend numerous first aid courses overview the years and have a basic grasp of what to do. I also have the St John’s First Aid app on my phone. All of this helps. But don’t let a lack of knowledge stop you from helping. Holding someone’s hand as they die might comfort the victim but it will certainly help their relatives.

For the OP here, all I can say is the boy done well!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jim Lane

Jim Lane Member

May 12, 2021
    Suffolk
    Evening all - just a quick update on this one - spoke to the guy Thursday evening and had a good catch up, he's still with us but on some serious pain killers, anti-depressants etc and is not is a very good way at all.

The doctors discussed all week with him his options, keeping the leg would mean multiple operations, nerve transplants from his side to his leg etc and then 4 to 5 years recovery, probably pain filled as well. The other option of course was to remove the leg and this was their preferred way forward so that's the option he selected. He was due in surgery Friday and as I've been away I've not had a chance to catch up with him as to how it went but right from the off, given the state of the leg at the scene, I thought this might be the case.

Driver being prosecuted so there'll be court cases, insurance claims etc etc. and a few more lawyers getting rich from other people's misery as usual.

He's alive though and when all said and done, that's what really counts...

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jim Lane.
    Yes from your initial post I did think the worst. If you talk to him again tell him there is a whole forum here saying a prayer for him. Such a stupid tragedy and numb skull driver. Thanks for keep us in the know.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Jim is he at the West Suffolk or Addenbrokes? Just wondering if we could send a card or two to cheer him up a bit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Fourbears
    That is a great though and i would be up for getting a card aswel and perhaps send it to Jim and the postage and he could forward it. If of course we can't get an address for personnel Mail.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1