Rs Protection For The Track

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mogwai, Apr 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    So I have booked in for a track day to really test out my RS.

At present I have no protection on my RS and I also have never been to the track before.

Is anyone able to advise the necessary protection I should have (e.g fork sliders, frame mounts etc) and good manufacturers?

I don't plan on dropping it, but better to be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I didn’t plan on dropping my street last year at my first track day at brands but I got carried away and overcooked it coming out of Druids with cold tyres.

My recommendation would be to take off all the nice bits such as side covers and indicators, mirrors (that also helps with preventing you being distracted I’ve heard).

Get as much protection on there as possible, engine covers are expensive to replace. Fork sliders and frame sliders are a good bet.

Other than that, make sure you do two or three out laps before pushing it to warm up the tyres and most importantly have fun! I loved it before i slid it and would definitely do another one.

Andy.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Another tip, if you find yourself in a big group with no space a quick trip through the pit lane can find you some clear track!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    #4 Mogwai, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Thanks! They are great tips.

Didn't occur to me to take off all the nice bits - although arguably everything is nice on these bikes.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Which track are you doing, the island?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Yep! Can't wait.

7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I use R&G on my race bike, had an off last weekend & did their job as was out in next race with minimal damage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Cool, I rode it a few years back and almost didn’t make the first lap. :mad: I mistakenly thought that the southern loop was a constant radius but it isn’t, it sharpens up a bit and drops away slightly at the second Marshall post. I’d set off after everyone else and was trying to catch the group, almost a big mistake. It is the best bit of asphalt on the planet, that view as you go down the Gardner Straight will stay with me forever. Enjoy, it’s feckin awsome.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just thought about tyre pressure s, set at 30 psi front & rear to start with & if not using tyre warmers give 2 laps of every session before going for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Thanks mate great advice. I didn't realise I should drop the psi that much.

11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    If you don’t you will chew rear tyre up, there is much more heat generated when riding on track. If you’re a little unsure then only drop to 32 psi front but would set rear at 30. I use Pirelli Super Corsa SC2’s for racing a 600 Bandit & my pressures are set to 30 front 26 rear measured cold.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    That's awesome to know. Hopefully I get some good footage to share!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    3F06CC72-1555-43D0-B6C5-1B52E23E690B.jpeg 34BA5A4B-A5A9-4D1A-8E7E-CF20A82F1417.jpeg First pic shows tyre run on 4 psi higher (30) second is running 26, this at race pace though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Wow! Yeah, that is quite a noticeable difference