Royal Enfields From India, Anyone Had One? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MartyWilson, Jul 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#1 MartyWilson, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2020
    Hi all,

Bit sacrilegious on a Triumph forum I know but let me explain myself. I would like to get a bike to rattle around the forestry roads locally during the coming winter so was after a big single traillie/scrambler but discovered that people are asking ridiculous money for 30+ year old bangers in dubious condition and I noticed that the Royal Enfields are pretty darn cheap fresh out of the box. It occurred to me that that big 500cc thumper with such a small number of horses would be an ideal bike to plod up and down the hill tracks for not much more money and, at the same time, has the kind of idiosyncratic looks the I adore about vintage British metal. What I notice though is that there are very few out there second hand which led me to wonder if they tend to fall apart very quickly so I thought that I would ask on here if anyone can fill me in on whether they are worth a pop.

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I've not owned one , but hear from the odd owner , they have improved remarkably in recent times. Might need suspension setting up for what you want to do , but bike would suit the needs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I had a 2006 500 that had been converted to a scrambler. To be honest it was a pile of shite!
    All the chrome was peeling off, bolts stripped or even sheared when you attempted to tighten them (don't go near one with a torque wrench). :mad:
    I changed many bolts, the carburettor and a host of other parts to make it half decent but it was always a gamble travelling any distance.

IMG_2201.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I’ve just watched Himalayan odyssey on YouTube were a group of lads ride Royal Enfield Himalayan and I’ve got to say I’ve a lot more respect for Royal Enfields now, those bikes took some right hammer and kept going,it also brings it home about how important it is to be able to get your feet flat on the floor,last night I watched on her bike on YouTube we’re were this woman traveled using a bmw 800 which in one episode needed a new fuel pump and rear shock plus leaking fork seals .

• Like Like x 4
  5. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I've run a couple of the Indian bullets.
    I quite liked them..the metallurgy isn't/ wasn't quite up to UK specs but none too awful either.
    Slow for road use...over 65mph they were plain unpleasant to ride..below that rather nice old style chuggers.
    Off road I'd think the frames heavy but Indians have used them in all sorts of settings for decades.
    I'd have another if the price was right.

• Like Like x 3
  6. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I did actually think of buying an old Triumph 955i Tiger as I love the bright green one which, I think, looks like a happy grasshopper or Praying Mantis but, when I saw a fella put down a later model (with off-road mode) very heavily despite not going that fast I decided that, even though I'm a big fella it probably wouldn't be really the wisest machine for even mildly rough terrain and, at around two grand or more for a decent low mileage one it wouldn't be much cheaper than an Enfield and probably easier to destroy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I currently run one of these too.
    Do not try to take one off road... they're great bikes but as on road mile munchers...too heavy an d too top heavy to risk off road.
    I'm 6'3" and I've dropped mine at low speed three times to date
    Bloody heavy to try to pick up again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

The Enfield is actually looking like a good option although I'm not sure whether the Scrambler version as, from all that I can see, the only difference from the standard 500 Bullet is the upswept exhaust. I love thumpers and an old tech 500 thumper in particular would be fun plus looking through ebay, as I said previously, even a thirty year old and Scruffy Honda XL, Yammy XT etc. will cost upwards of three grand and is probably close to being on it's last legs.

9. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Yes... bargain bikes I think but I've run out of room and my Beloved would divorce me if I brought home another stray.

10. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    These are the latest and final version of the 500 single, they retail at around £4500 and are Johnn Britain Replicas, although they are the latest as in having EFI they are still a very rudimentary motorcycle and you will certainly know what the term maintenance means and people spend a lot of money changing parts for better quality items, https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/
    These boys are the best at this brand and even sell carb kits to replace EFI.
    Is this what you need or maybe an old hack would do the same job this is why I still run my old 89 600 Transalp as they are cheaper and still more reliable.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    No, it's the heart not the head with these bikes.
    We all know that Hondas are way way superior...but frankly I'd rather cut off my leg and beat myself over the head with the bloodied stump than run a characterless blob.
    Sorry and all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Ran old British thumpers for years mate, don't need telling about character and that, if our mate wants to spend nearly five grand to play in the Scottish woods then so be it but don't confuse the issue an unreliable bike stuck in a Scottish wood miles from anywhere is worth bugger all you can keep character and nostalgia when trudging miles, His money his shout advise is free

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Can't fault your logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    For very little money, I'd get an old Suzuki GS500. Throw most of it away and fit a high exhaust and knobblies. Not a single but close and no worries when dropped.
    Or for £1500 - £2000 get a CCM

• Like Like x 1
  15. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I do have to say that the heart does have a great deal of say in the matter and I do have a darling wife who pushes me towards these 'un-neccessary' purchases rather than away. She has even threatened to buy one for me! I can't deny though that I am drawn to the originals also as they seem to be available for prices pretty much the same as the new ones. Only problem with those being that I have known of many Brit bikes in the past that had had 'Ground up' 'nut and bolt' 'professional' etc. restorations and been pretty looking but hiding a multitude of sins and thoroughly horrible to ride. I do have to say the the EFI is a worry and I would rather have a good old fashioned carb that can be pulled apart and fixed on the trackside. The ABS is another thing that just seems to be something else that can go wrong.

The Himalayan seems to be the most rugged but, to be honest it is piggin' fugly in the extreme where the Johnny Britain is very cute but is it really 'special' in any functional sense or is it just the Bullet Classic with an upswept exhaust?

16. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Interesting to know... I watched the YouTube video of that Australian chap changing the front sprocket...what a palaver! Off came so many parts.. including the offside outer engine cover!
    Jeez, that didn't look like fun at all.
    Made me thankful for the simplicity of my 07 Speedmaster...a few bolts and you're there.
    But I'm still so so tempted by the Enfield trials in the logical grounds that it looks so so good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I had a go on a Himalayan, but it was the weight of it that put me off. As others have said you can get an old Jap bike and convert it cheaply enough. I've always fancied a Honda CR450 myself, I'd probably kill myself on it if I did get one now, silly old bugger me!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Never mind the quality, feel the width.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    If you do buy one make sure you get the correct spec rose tinted glasses with it. :yum;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Don’t do it !!!!,I had a couple of rums one Saturday night and awoke to find I had bought a 350 bullet on eBay.Good news was it had 100 miles on it ,was unmarked & I got it for £1500.Bad news was it was in Liverpool and I’m in Scotland.
    Got the train down and the seller picked me up and we went to his place for tea and I was delighted looking at the bike.
    But by the time I got to the end of his street I was regretting buying it big time.Biggest load of keach I have ever ridden,by the time I got home I was a nervous wreck & stuck it in the garage & tried to forget about it.After a couple of months listening to my mrs asking why I didn’t take the beautiful wee bike out I decided to give it a 2nd chance.Doesnt go,doesn’t stop & doesn’t handle,fkn death trap :).kept it in the garage for another year and punted it to a firm from the borders who were running Enfield tours,,happy days getting rid of it.only fit for display in museums.
    If your ever tempted/DONT DO IT .

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2