Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured Royal Enfield Continental 650

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by half ton, Feb 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. half ton

half ton Elite Member

Oct 18, 2013
    uk
    Well I took a ride over to my Brothers works yesterday,Just to have a look at the new Enfield twin,I just had to have a ride so off I went (only 20 miles on the clock)My first impressions were that it is a very pretty bike in the white with a graphite band over the tank.Then quite quickly I realised I could not own one as the low bars caned my wrists within 5 mins of setting off,It rides extremely well over bumpy back roads and the narrow seat was surprisingly comfortable, but I don't know how it will stack up with a bit of aggressive riding.....the indicator switch was a bit stiff to cancel (prob loosen up with use) but my biggest gripe was the rear brake,It was horrid with loads of travel and no bite at all (I don't use much rear brake but it would be nice to know it worked) also the brake pedal looks just like a gear change lever and gives no idea if your boot is actually on it.The upright Intercepter version will be in on Saturday so will have a sit on that.
    I honestly think that with a bit of tinkering they will be a nice bike..economical and able to cruise at a sensible speed..Maybe one to think about in a couple of years:)

• Like Like x 15
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    My riding buddy has had an extensive test on the Interceptor and liked it that much that he ordered one there and then.
    His biggest problem is where to keep it as his workshop is full with the majority of the 30 other bikes that he owns. His others are on display a various dealers that he knows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I was looking at both the Continental and Interceptor at A&D Motorcycles in Denbigh yesterday whilst out and about.
    The Interceptor looked a lot more comfortable to ride and I thought that the Continental looked a bit cramped, didn’t sit on any.
    The Interceptor I believe is getting good reports with perhaps the suspension letting it down a bit, sounds like they may have used the Triumph supplier, I don’t suppose the RE tank badge will be cool (what ever that means) enough for some people :laughing::laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    As if by magic...……

• Like Like x 6
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Ade the magician, well you are about the same height that Paul Daniels was ;):):)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Be interested on what you think of the Interceptor, as I must admit to liking it a lot. Like you, maybe in a few years.
    We have dealer in Louth that will soon be getting them in. Might have to take a ride over there one day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I rode the continental a few weeks back. Like you say lovely looking bike, rides reasonably well, but lacked a little on performance for me.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I read somewhere recently that the RE boss is looking to introduce a more powerful version in the next couple of years. The current engine is (they say) apparently very understressed and will be able to take tuning and/or enlargement. Around 60bhp would probably be a decent target for them in my opinion - but more would be very nice. The current 47bhp output is deliberately new licence holder friendly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bikerman

Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    #9 Bikerman, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    This guy loves it too. I've not read, or watched, a bad review (yet )

• Like Like x 5
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I reckon that would make a massive difference to its appeal.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gazzatriumph

Gazzatriumph Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    That and put a Triumph badge on it ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Does the new Triumph Speed Twin have a badge on the tank or are they scrimping on that by putting a decal on the tank :bomb::laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gazzatriumph

Gazzatriumph Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    Scrimping

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Thought some of the scenery looked a bit familiar. Filmed not too far from me around Cawood and Escrick - to name a couple of places. As the bike was (apparently) from Eddy's Moto in Tadcaster I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
    Oh, and unless they've moved it recently, Tadcaster is in NORTH Yorkshire, not West Yorks as the gentleman said when crediting Eddy's. Just saying! I know, I know, nobody likes a smartarse!!:p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    A phone call I had today with a friend stated he had 46 of these going out on the new 19 plate so somebody likes them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Question Steve,,,,,is Eddy’s Moto owned by Eddie Wright.

I think he used to have a shop in Leeds???

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bikerman

Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Looks like RE are doing something right then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes although his shop now is not Leeds but Shipley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Burcot Paul

Burcot Paul New Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Worcestershire
    I had a test ride on one a few weeks ago from a dealer in the midlands, i loved it and was already to put a deposit down when I started looking at the Triumph 865 scrambler hence the reason for being here. The Enfield was great and the quality seems nothing like we are used to from them as nothing fell off during the test ride, I used to have a Bullet and although it had "character" it could be unpredictable to say the least ! I got back to the shop and said to the owner that if the bike didn't have badges on and someone said guess what it is the last thing you would say was Enfield. I went on to test ride a 2017 865 scrambler and fell in love with it so spent £1000 more and bought a 2 year old Triumph rather than go for a brand new Enfield, I suppose my worry was depreciation on the Enfield plus its a brand new design so may have a few teething problems. I picked up the scrambler yesterday and love it, I went the long way home from the dealer and did nearly 200 miles ☺

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Have to say l really like the look of them. No idea what they ride like but certainly look the part. :)

• Agree Agree x 5