Royal Enfield Classic 650??

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by MadMrB, May 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Believe the build quality of the Interceptor is pretty good for a bike that costs a lot less £k than its competitors :eek:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I was looking at them in detail today and I reckon they stand comparison with recent Triumph Bonnys - just not on price.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Those who test ride them seem to have good opinions of them. Aren't they one of the fastest growing companies at the moment (pre -covid). Lots of rumours of a 650 Scrambler coming

Royal-Enfield-650-Custom-By-K-SPEED-_-1068x712.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    They’re probably comparing then to a T120.

Most small rep classic bikes are ridden at a sadat speed and from what I’ve seen they will maintain a decent speed all day long.

You know what it’s like unless your vertically challenge or have upper body muscles of Mr Universe the wind blast on naked bikes above a certain speed can be unbearable after any length of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Is that you peeping over the seat SleepyOwl? ;)
    Ken.
    PS. When I looked at a 650 last year I commented to the sales guy about the finish in general, he said they were build down to a price. I believe him, but wouldn’t discount a scrambler like the one pictured. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    The 1200 engine is supreme, when I had my Bobber the torque was intoxicating :D

However I love my 790, it does what I want it to do, and is both fun and flexible, whilst keeping me sensible. I have the triple for when I want something less gentlemanly ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Erm, ‘Built Like A Gun’ was on Enfield’s logo, if I remember right. Sure my bicycle had a picture of an artillery wheeled canon on its badge.
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Can’t teach me anything about firearms, or Lada Rivas! ;)
    Ken.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    The Enfield 650 and the current Triumph 900 twin produce about the same bhp per litre.

I want to see a road version of the Harris/S&S/Enfield flat track bike. :)

RE_FlatTracker_RHS_Profile_MA_RE_Logos-V2_1583456214-e1583456310350-1920x1069.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #11 capt, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    You'd be quite right there @DozersDad , my 2009 865 America , bored out and ported , then tuned properly makes high 70' low 80' Hp and lighter , would be about the same performance as new 900/1200 water cooled motors !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On the subject of reliability of Royal Enfield's current range of products there is an 'adventure' style bike called the Himalayan - 410 cc single.

This is fast becoming the 'go to' bike for peeps who want to do more than just a week away. There is a Dutch lady called Noraly who bought her first Himmy in India and spent the next 9 months working her way through the middle east and finally back to her home base of Holland - 35000 kms.

Then Royal Enfield Holland offered her a brand new Himmy in exchange for hers, so they could use it for promotion work. With this new bike Noraly started her next adventure tip of South America to Alaska. She had done about 20,000 kms when Covid-19 kicked off in Peru and she had to fly back to Holland until things die down.

So if the other bikes show the same level of durability as the Himmy, there should be no concerns about build quality. At least she's not suffered the cracked frame that Ewan did on his BMW ditch pump !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #14 Kenbro, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    AKA Itchy Boots...lots on YouTube about this lovely lady.
    Think she likes the Enfield, not so much for its “reliability”, but its ease of repair when in remote areas.
    Ken.
    PS. Thought my BM was agricultural but the Enfields just pip it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hope they've moved on since that pile of shite I once owned! :joy::joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    In those circumstances simple is best...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    The valve check and adjustment on the Interceptor is screw and locknut so I believe so it’s something which most basic home mechanics can do :)
    No farting about removing cams and messing about with piddly little shims :eek:

Don’t forget the Interceptor come with THREE yes THREE year manufacturers warranty unlike most other manufacturers :mad:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    After buying my Street Twin I read all of the good reviews about the Enfield twins and wondered if it would have been a better choice. I had dismissed Enfields after reading about the vibrations on the bullet over 50mph, but it seemed the twins could manage much of what the Street Twin can. I went to have a good look at the Enfirelds at the motorcycle show. I know it sounds superficial, but things like the switches and levers just felt a bit wobbly and didn't give a great impression of the bike, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to sort most of that if it bothered, especially given the price.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I'm torn between the GT and the interceptor.... both lovely looking bikes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I got one after a friend who was involved in the street triple engine moved to RE. He was then involved with their 650 engine and told me forget anything I thought about the old clunkers. Thus is a totally new ball game! I ended up buying one and love riding it. But that version to me looks shite. If you want an old bike, buy an old bike.
    The sales show the 650 is the right bike at the right time..
    At the NEC 18 months ago I said to Bruno (Tagliaferi) this will hit Triumph sales and he said they won't sell. Is Triumph falling into the old ways I wonder.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1