Rosso Iii's Vs Pr5's, Speed Twin/thruxton

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Stramasher, Jul 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Hello folks,

I have enjoyed spanking the OE Pirelli Rossi III's on my Speed Twin. But the front is now done @ 4500miles and an off the shelf replacement rear is now on its way out approx 2500miles (same as the OE rear)

Have loved them for the endless feeling of grip on the road but I cant live with them getting finished at those mileages.

Anybody fitted PR5's to their Speed Twin or Thruxton? How do they compare? Same grip in the dry? Better mileage?
    They are excellent on the big Honda and last 5k but thats always has Sport/Touring boots on it (and the Michelins have been the pinnacle for me)

2. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Had pilot 5s on my Thruxton, did 1700 miles before trade in and I thought they were great, did not look worn at all. When my speed twin needs new rubber this is what I will be looking at, in fact just traded it in, and it requires new rear done 4250 miles mainly 2 up. Thats on the rossi 3.
    On the new speed twin they have race tec I think ,which I believe do have a short life.

3. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I had the front Pirelli slip out on me twice when the temperature dropped down to 8*C. The Road 5s haven’t managed that yet!
    The 5s seem to drop into a turn quicker, although perhaps a new Pirelli would have felt the same. The rear Michelin is lasting longer the OEM Pirelli. Definitely preferable to the OEM tyres.