Sprint Ropey Gear Change Fixed :-)

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Flashp, May 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #1 Flashp, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    I've invested a little effort in fixing this in terms of research and had a great result, so much so I think it's worth sharing.
    My original shift lever was a little bent, scraped, ball joints worn and the pivot bolt bearing sleeve was quite worn. This obviously has some bearing on the degree of improvement made. I also gained an extra 1" of room to get my size 10 boot around the lever which has been of great benefit.
    [​IMG]

I've addressed this by replacing the lever with a new part from Fowlers that's actually a part for a Kawasaki, here's the details:
    [​IMG]

To do this you'll need a bronze bearing sleeve that's cheaply available on eBay, item no: 192006810920
    [​IMG]

I needed to replace a boot on the threaded rod, also eBay: 292410833179

When the lever is fitted you'll need to file the back of the lever to avoid it being pinched when the pivot bolt is tightened, it's probably only .25mm - .35mm.

In my case, the net result is a gear shift that no longer needed the lever 'stomping' on so to speak, it moves up and down through the box as good as my 2017 Thruxton, the transformation is, without exaggeration, night and day.

Completed installation:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's very interesting, and I have bookmarked it for reference. I'm in the process of playing with the gear lever on my 1996 Sprint. Thanks to @Sprinter for linking me to it.

As @Smilinjack says... "you're on a charge!"

• Funny Funny x 2