Featured Rode This Beauty Today

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by pistonbroke, Sep 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    531F7CB0-CE9E-43CE-9BC6-6AC945F0D4CA.jpeg

thruxton r.

what a wonderful piece of kit, incredible engine and the brakes are a different universe compared to my T100. My only problem was I found the pegs too high (I’m 6’3”) and it just made for an uncomfortable riding position which is a shame as I loved it. I’ll scratch my chin and think about it but can’t see it happening.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Beautiful bike, pistonbroke! How'd you come to ride this Thruxton R? A dealership test ride perhaps? I had a 2016 Thruxton R but, sadly, I have it no more as I traded it for my 2019 Speed Triple RS. I miss it and there's a 2019 Thruxton R at my dealership currently at a big discount and I'm sorely tempted to (re)add it to the garage. :joy: Guess I just shoulda kept the 2016!

I'm 5'7" and felt the ergonomics of the Thruxton R were good for me but not for longer rides and not if I'd have been much taller. It does seem like you at 6'3" would feel a wee bit cramped on the bike. But let us know if you pull the trigger on a purchase! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Nice bike and a great colour, shame about the peg's pity there is no adjustment to make things easier for you to consider it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What about a Speed Twin? Lighter and more powerful than a Thruxton with a more relaxed riding position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Riggers

Riggers Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hull
    What a fantastic looking bike they are! Sadly, for me, it's THAT riding position again. What with replacement hips, a stiff neck, and a back side that cries enough after about 50 miles it's a T100 or nothing for me.

I can still dream though.......

• Like Like x 3
  6. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Gorgeous, but I would say that. Are there no adjustable aftermarket rear sets available for the Thruxton?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Great bike the thruxton, so sorry to hear that it is a bit cramped for you. The feel of the big twin puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up...

• Like Like x 4
  8. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    sadly not sandi, but a wonderful bike all the same

• Like Like x 2
  9. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    yep, thats on my list mate

• Like Like x 2
  10. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    you are not alone in that riggers! :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    Nothing that I can find Tony, only ones to move it up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    fame at last!

I made the front page o_O:D:laughing:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I bought a Thruxton a few weeks ago, (not the R version) love it, god knows how many bikes I’ve had over the years and I currently have 5 other bikes in the garage but I have to say the Thruxton is my favourite of all the bikes I’ve owned/own , it’s got plenty of power but isn’t over the top (as my recently sold M1200 was), lovely to look at, handling is more than adequate for road use, brakes are good, sounds good, comfort adequate, there are bikes that do everything better but this for me is a great package, can’t stop riding it!.
    PS I’m 6’2” and find the legroom fine but if the legroom is a bit tight for you PB why not give the T120 a try?.
    892D258F-6E04-4B5D-8B21-F60529DFE756.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  14. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #14 Winglad, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    I scratched my chin until I bought one :p

(Didn‘t regret it!)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Gorgeous ride, but I came to the same conclusion about the Thruxton. That’s why I bought a Speed Twin; it’s really a fantastic bike, and I believe handles better than the Thrux. That may just be because it fits me, maybe because the Thrux has spoked wheels, but whatever the reason, I’m extremely happy.

Yeah, the suspension isn’t adjustable, but I’m happy with it the way it is, and there are lots of options for not too much $$ if I ever need an upgrade.
    Good luck and have fun trying out your next ride

• Like Like x 5
  16. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    Cheers mate, hunting for speed twin now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    That bike is beautiful from every angle. Looks sharp in white!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Don't dispair, either buy some rear sets or get a thicker seat done.

19. pistonbroke

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    Following on from my massively successful‘I rode this’ series

I rode this over the weekend.
    8CD541CC-5887-449D-828A-DE00B9A4939A.jpeg

Well, whilst I appreciate they are not to everybody’s taste I have to say what hoot! Suits the old pb’s back and knees and was surprisingly comfortable. It pulls like train and was flicking it around like my old fire blade !

I didn’t push the button on this one as I prefer the green and silver colour and the buggers had actually sold it that morning despite me booking a test ride and driving over 100 miles to get there. Suffice it to say they won’t be seeing any of my hard earned.Anyone else had one and if so what were your thoughts on it?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I would have kicked up a fuss and tried to get a better price. Then you can get the tank repainted to your desires.

• Like Like x 2